FPGA Dev Kits

Associate
Recently I am looking into low latency programming. Have been working extensively with Java as I find it is very suitable for LLP provided certain optimizations and GC workarounds are implemented. Have worked commercially with strategic order routing, monitoring, and algorithmic trading. Long story short, looking to buy and begin personal development on FPGAs, I am not broke so my budget is flexible but obviously will not be spending more than £1000 if I can help it.

OC to my knowledge (please tell otherwise) does not have dev kits. Can someone please advise on any models they have used?

Googling has turned up
https://tinyurl.com/3kju6jc6 on https://uk.rs-online.com/web/.

Wonder if anyone has had experience with this vendor or if the products are good. I'm a programmer by trade so not too familiar with professional hardware vendors beyond the obvious ones. Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
Used to use RS a lot for work stuff in previous jobs - though I'm not a huge fan personally as they seem (or at least when I last used them) oriented around a kind of old school industry service model - great if you know exactly what you are looking for and/or meticulously designing something and/or regularly reordering the same parts, not so great if you are trying to rapidly prototype and trying a range of things in a more ad hoc manner.

Personally I'd tend to end up using the likes of Farnell or Mouser, etc. but none the less a legit long standing company.

Associate
I'll start by saying I know nothing about FPGAs but I follow several Maker style RSS feeds; hackaday, adafruit, sparkfun etc. There are many much cheaper boards than that one can buy but I'm sure they have smaller FPGAs onboard. There appears to be an official Arduino one for instance, Arduino MKR Vidor 4000 — Cool Components

Associate
I'll start by saying I know nothing about FPGAs but I follow several Maker style RSS feeds; hackaday, adafruit, sparkfun etc. There are many much cheaper boards than that one can buy but I'm sure they have smaller FPGAs onboard. There appears to be an official Arduino one for instance, Arduino MKR Vidor 4000 — Cool Components

Oh I got the impression it WASNT a race to the bottom price for the OP... But yeah £11 gets you....

New black/green Zynq 7000 development board

Associate
Ha ha, wasn't trying to make it a competition just trying to point out you don't need to spend £400 to get your hands wet. Depending on application these cheaper ones may well not have enough logic elements, IO etc.

Back
Top Bottom