• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FPS and refresh rate

Soldato
I have a Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card playing on a MSI Optix G24C 24" 1920x1080 VA FREESYNC 144Hz 1ms Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor.

I don't run any kind of Vsync, or freesync. For some reason freesync causes fluctuating brightness.

My graphics card absolutely takes off in some games, and gives me some nasty coil whine, especially in menus etc.
I thought I'd use the radeon software to limit my FPS to 144. But I've read that I should actual limit it to 90.

Shouldn't I be aiming for the limit of my refresh rate?

Man of Honour
If you aren't using V-Sync then the exact framerate you cap at doesn't matter - generally coil whine and the likes starts to become apparent around 200 fps but I've heard it lower on some cards. Higher framerates often reduce the amount of tearing perceived.

If you do use some form of adaptive sync without V-Sync then normally you'd want to aim for 90-135 fps (depending on setup and monitor) as when you get close to the FreeSync/G-Sync max refresh rate you can get bursts of frames very quickly at times which will exceed the variable refresh window causing momentary tearing also keeping the output away from the refresh rate slightly with adaptive sync + V-Sync helps to avoid any nasty latency issues when you hit the variable refresh cap.

Soldato
You can use something like rivatuner to cap your FPS at your refresh rate (or lower, usually after 80 you won't see a difference in most games). Then if your not using sync it won't be processing unnecessary frames and making loads of heat/noise. Doing this can stop coil whine too.

Soldato
Not sure why the Freesync causes your brightness issue, (flickering/ half screen brighter?), however when it comes to fps capping you will probably find that even at 144hz capped, the card will still put out crazy coil whine, but probably will tame it some.

As you know you can regulate the maximum fps to whatever you like by using ''Frtc" in wattman-Global settings.

Soldato
Not sure why the Freesync causes your brightness issue, (flickering/ half screen brighter?), however when it comes to fps capping you will probably find that even at 144hz capped, the card will still put out crazy coil whine, but probably will tame it some.

As you know you can regulate the maximum fps to whatever you like by using ''Frtc" in wattman-Global settings.

A lot of freesync monitors have this issue, some if you hit the lower end of the freesync range and LFC kicks in, others just a certain intervals. Been through a few myself :(

I have a Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card playing on a MSI Optix G24C 24" 1920x1080 VA FREESYNC 144Hz 1ms Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor.

I don't run any kind of Vsync, or freesync. For some reason freesync causes fluctuating brightness.

My graphics card absolutely takes off in some games, and gives me some nasty coil whine, especially in menus etc.
I thought I'd use the radeon software to limit my FPS to 144. But I've read that I should actual limit it to 90.

From what i've been able to gather the vega and polaris cards from gigabyte hasn't been stellar. BUT! you are not out of options. You should look into undervolting. You won't loose performance but you will reduce the heat if done correctly. Most vega cards are insanely overvolted from the manufacturers side. Example would be my nitro + vega 64 which runs at stock 1.2v. But it only need 1,0v to sustain the same clocks.

Soldato
OP
From what i've been able to gather the vega and polaris cards from gigabyte hasn't been stellar. BUT! you are not out of options. You should look into undervolting. You won't loose performance but you will reduce the heat if done correctly. Most vega cards are insanely overvolted from the manufacturers side. Example would be my nitro + vega 64 which runs at stock 1.2v. But it only need 1,0v to sustain the same clocks.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes this Gigabyte has been the bain of PC with it's crashes.

I've been trying to find other Gigabytes users to see what voltages they use, without much luck. So I'm kinda winging it with not much luck.

Associate
The fluctuation in brightness may be caused by the overdrive on the monitor. Freesync doesn't generally use dynamic overdrive so this can be even worse on VA panels.

Check if you are able to at least change the overdrive settings especially at lower fps. Some monitors won't let you.

Soldato
You can use something like rivatuner to cap your FPS at your refresh rate (or lower, usually after 80 you won't see a difference in most games). Then if your not using sync it won't be processing unnecessary frames and making loads of heat/noise. Doing this can stop coil whine too.

FYI For years AMD has cap limiter on the driver settings :)

a) The Freesync flickering has nothing to do with AMD or the GPU. Pay a visit to the MSI forums, is ongoing issue since 2017 and MSI reply to all threads is "we doing testing".

b) your monitor support freesync ranges
Display Port: 48~144Hz
HDMI: 48~120Hz

c) Do you use a DP1.2a or better DP1.4 rated cable? The one with the monitor is DP1.1. (MSI and all companies are cheap here)
Have you tried to use HDMI (2.0b preferably) cable?
If not buy a DP1.4 RATED cable, they are not that expensive but they are perfect, like the Club3D CAC-2067 1.4/HBR3

d) To set cap limit NEVER EVER use Vsyc or 3rd party software on AMD cards. The drivers have the option to do so, not only for all general settings but per game profile also.

e) Make sure your monitor is set at 144hz (or 120hz on HDMI) at windows, since W10 has the tendency every so often on major upgrade to reset to 60hz.

Let us know how it goes.

For coil whine pay a visit at V64 owners thread for undervolting settings. They will improve performance, and reduce coil whine and power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom