• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FPS - reviews - hype and playable game rates

Man of Honour
Much like tamzzy, I've used a bunch of cheap Windows keys over the years and never once had a problem.

I'd put up with the watermark in the corner before I fork out £100 + for one.

Not entirely the cheap keys but people's lack of discernment as to where they come from, they see £5 key and seems all thought ends there :( and/or they think it worth a punt at that price - personally I'd rather just pay a bit more and avoid potential hassle.

Soldato
Not entirely the cheap keys but people's lack of discernment as to where they come from, they see £5 key and seems all thought ends there :( and/or they think it worth a punt at that price - personally I'd rather just pay a bit more and avoid potential hassle.

That's fair.

I don't buy blindly, I always make sure I'm sourcing from somewhere fairly reputable.

Soldato
OP
I’ve set up my freeview monitor with my gsync RTX card. set it up in control panel - vsync on, max frame rate etc - it just supposed to keep things well synced - no tearing etc

Soldato
I mostly play bf2042 and I’ve had 3 graphics cards in the past 3 years -3080 - 4070 TI and 4080 - all three of these cards achieve playable FPS over 60. I play at 1440p.

then why get a 4090 when for playable rates a 4070 is fine ?

Why get a 4090 says the person that finds a 4070 is fine but still upgraded from his 4070ti to a 4080 :cry:

You got also need to take note that you play at 1440 where some 4090 owners are gaming at 4K like myself when am using my 4K OLED TV to play games on

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why get a 4090 says the person that finds a 4070 is fine but still upgraded from his 4070ti to a 4080 :cry:

You got also need to take note that you play at 1440 where some 4090 owners are gaming at 4K like myself when am using my 4K OLED TV to play games on
Couldn’t afford a 4090 as these cards I bought were quite inexpensive here on the forums. 4090 at 1500 to 2k are too expensive for me but they are great cards.

In addition 4K monitor needed whereas 1440 is enough for me

Last edited:
Soldato
Couldn’t afford a 4090 as these cards I bought were quite inexpensive here on the forums. 4090 at 1500 to 2k are too expensive for me but they are great cards.

In addition 4K monitor needed whereas 1440 is enough for me
I ordered an 4090 myself (Ok i ordered two and haven't had the refund for the first problem 4090 yet :mad:)
and yes they are really too expensive for me as it going take me some months to save up and replace the money back into my saving i paid out for these.

Really doesn't help that forked out around another 2k on other parts for my PC upgrade on top of the 4090's, Feels like it going take me forever to get my saving back to where they were before :o
I been doing a few hours overtime every week day apart from Friday for about 3 months now to pay for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I ordered an 4090 myself (Ok i ordered two and haven't had the refund for the first problem one yet :mad:)
and yes they are really too expensive for me as it going take me a some months to save up and replace the money back into my saving i paid out for them.
Yes expensive but great cards. Let’s hope the 5090 don’t bankrupt you ;) cheers :)

Last edited:
Associate
60 fps only seems playable when you havent used anything better, i game at 120-160 usually and 60 looks like a stuttering mess now but for most of my gaming time i would have said 60 was fine and you dont need any more

Associate
60 fps only seems playable when you havent used anything better, i game at 120-160 usually and 60 looks like a stuttering mess now but for most of my gaming time i would have said 60 was fine and you dont need any more
This is it. 60fps is fine if you haven't played anything else.

Games that play well at 60 play even better at 120. There are diminishing returns but I play fps games on a 1080p240hz monitor (and other games on 1440p165hz) and I can notice the difference between 144hz and 240hz. I have tried 360hz but for me that wasn't as noticeable a jump.

Associate
This is it. 60fps is fine if you haven't played anything else.

Games that play well at 60 play even better at 120. There are diminishing returns but I play fps games on a 1080p240hz monitor (and other games on 1440p165hz) and I can notice the difference between 144hz and 240hz. I have tried 360hz but for me that wasn't as noticeable a jump.
I notice the difference, then I look at what my power draw is, do I need it? then adjust as low as I can tolerate, usually end up around 80-90 FPS capped.

Man of Honour
Gsync and freesync make a difference then ?
Yes, and only when you've had a VRR monitor do you realise just how transformative it is.

Nvidia did a great video way back when they actually put thought into marketing, this is 8 years old, but is 100% valid for gsync/freesync today:

You will never go back to 60Hz/60fps after going VRR. 100fps is the absolute sweet spot once you join the fold too but essentially 85fps-100 is the range to be hitting for super smooth low latency motion with VRR displays using either adaptive sync tech.

If you're playing with a controller then 60fps capped on a VRR display is excellent too, but with a 1000Hz mouse you're only truly making the most of that polling rate on higher refresh rates and framerates on a VRR display, and bear in mind that MS fixed the performance issues with 1000Hz mice back with Windows 11 21H2's release so no more stuttering when using high polling rate mice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom