Fractal Design Mini Array R2 Build Log (56k beware!!)

Associate
Hi Guys,

As some of you may have noticed a little while ago I was asking questions in the forum about building a WHS and after much deliberation I have taken the plunge and decided to write up a little build log incase anyone else was interested. Basically there's a very limited range of decent cases in this area of the market still. I needed something quiet, with a high HDD capacity that looked quite nice. In the end I took the plunge with this case despite some poor online reviews.

Components:

Fractal Design Mini Array R2
Zotac GeForce 8200 Mini-ITX Wifi
AMD Athlon X2 4850e
2x1GB DDR2 667mhz Corsair XMS2 RAM
Scythe Shuriken B CPU Cooler
Seagate 2TB LP HDD

First impressions taking the case out of the box are that it feels very light but solid and the brushed aluminium finish is excellent. The power button is plastic which feels a bit cheap in comparison but it didn't bother me as its well fitted and study.

Four screws later and the lid is off showing some sound absorbant padding over the HDD cage which is no doubt a good thing.

First look inside the case and you can see the cage which should allow 6 HDDS to be mounted on the rubber grommets and also the top of the microATX form factor PSU. This model is 300W and made by FSP.

A quick shot of the back of the case shows the PSU again and also two full height expansion cards, obviously mini-ITX boards only have one slot so the second would allow you to fit a fan controller or something.

Now here I came across my first stumbling block. Removing the HDD cage is not the worlds most simple of tasks unfortunately. The cage unscrews with 2 screws on each of the side panels. But with that box underneath it is outright impossible to get it out. Please note the worlds biggest cable tie attaching the two :).

The solution was these cutters, but i litterally had to nibble the cable tie 10+ times to cut all the way across. This was something of an unnecessary chore. Putting the box inside the drive cage would have saved me a hell of a lot of time at this stage.

And after all that this is the way you have to get the HDD cage out, might I warn you this does cause significant scrapping and that horrible screeching noise when metals rubs on metal.

So with the cage finally out and the PSU removed we can see the blank canvas of working space and the 140mm front intake fan. At this stage I feel ive made some progress.

This what was in the dreaded box of bits and bobs, screws for the mobo and HDDs, a US power cable (a lot of use to me that was :S) and a cable tidy. No instructions anywhere to be seen.

No further hiccups getting the mobo, CPU and memory in the case, place the IO shield as usual and four screws.

A quick shot of the cooler, worthy of mention because I was particularly impressed with the build quality and the excellent method of swapping from one socket type to another, so simple and easy I've consequently bought another scythe cooler for my HTPC.

CPU cooler mounted without issue.

HDD mounted up in the cage, again straightforward without issues once you get the right screws out of the packet.

Now this pic shows just how tight the space is to get the HDD cage back into the case, as things stood it did just fit between the case intake fan, the CPU cooler and the RAM sticks, but if the cooler was any bigger, if the CPU socket was nearer the front of the case, or the RAM for that matter then there would be no way the cage would go in. Something to be weary of if your planning on using this case.

Quick shot of the PSU, cables are the perfect length to reach everything in the case 7xSATA, 1 molex, 1 20+4pin and 1 4pin mobo connector.

Everything back in and wired up, getting the SATA cable and SATA power in with the HDD cage mounted up was a bit of a bugger, but a little patience sorted that out.

Final snaps with everything back together.

Total build time about 45 minutes, which is pretty acceptable. The only particularly frustrating thing with the build was working out how to get the HDD cage out for the first time. Otherwise it was smooth and without issue. Others may need to be careful with their choice of CPU cooler incase it encroaches on the space needed to get the HDD cage in.

In terms of its operation and quietness. The front intake is entirely inaudible to me with it on the desk near head height, as is the CPU cooler with it set to quiet in the BIOS. Temps are very good, CPU 50oC load and HDD topped out at 30oC. There is some vibration from the HDD and the PSU fan is a little loud. Will update when I put it under the table in the living room, I suspect there I will never notice these things.

Overall im very happy indeed, the case fits my needs and a lot of the negative reviews ive heard I feel are unwarranted.

Hope you all enjoyed.

Hawker

Soldato
OOOOH That is sexy, i had a feeling the reviews would be a little stacked but i think with a little thought the vibrating can be resolved.
shame the psu isnt braided but thats something you can take care of yourself. overall that is a very nice build mate, cant wait to collect mine!

Permabanned
Excellent build, the pictures ive seen only has one rear slot.

Are there revisions of this case or do they all have dual slot?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OOOOH That is sexy, i had a feeling the reviews would be a little stacked but i think with a little thought the vibrating can be resolved.
shame the psu isnt braided but thats something you can take care of yourself. overall that is a very nice build mate, cant wait to collect mine!

Yeah ive got some spare acoustic dampening stuff knocking about so when I get the time I may line the front of the case to try and make that less noticable.

Excellent build, the pictures ive seen only has one rear slot.

Are there revisions of this case or do they all have dual slot?

As Kanifee said, this is the R2 version of the case which is knocking about now, R1 didnt last long as it had some flaws.

Unfortunately ive hit a snag with my vail beta installation in that it doesnt support my USB DVD drive :(. Means ill either have to pull an internal and plug it in temporarily or faff with a USB key. Will update once I get it set up.

Hawker

Associate
Components:

Fractal Design Mini Array R2

Now here I came across my first stumbling block. Removing the HDD cage is not the worlds most simple of tasks unfortunately. The cage unscrews with 2 screws on each of the side panels. But with that box underneath it is outright impossible to get it out. Please note the worlds biggest cable tie attaching the two :).

Err, you are doing it wrong ;).

You notice the four silver screws (two on each side) close to the rubber grommets for the end hard drives in your pic above. If you unscrew these then the hard drive cage just lifts out. The old version required you to take the screws out of the side in order to take the drive cage out but this was fixed in the R2 as lots of people complained of the difficulty you have experienced. To be fair, I did the same before I worked it out as well :D.

Note after taking the four screws out you may have to pull a bit as there is some more vibration insulation underneath and it seems to stick a little (you wont damage it taking the cage out but just have to be firm pulling it out).

From using this case for a few months not I do find it gets quite hot as do the hard drives. The case looks great though and has a fair amount of space inside. There is also a space to mount a 2.5" drive on the underside of the drive cage (2.5" boot drive / SDD) and then you can use the 3.5" drive bays for storage.

Associate
OP
Lol I tried that initially but couldnt wedge the thing out, my drives never go above 33 degrees with 6 of them in there now, pretty happy overall now its been running for about 18months without a single issue.

Hawker

Associate
Lol I tried that initially but couldnt wedge the thing out, my drives never go above 33 degrees with 6 of them in there now, pretty happy overall now its been running for about 18months without a single issue.

Hawker

Haha, ok well it could be that the ambient temp over here is around 33 degrees to start with :D. Half of my drives are also 7.2k units although I only have 5 in total (5th being a fast 2.5" hdd). The top of my case certainly feels warm to the touch. It is a great little case though.

RB

Associate
"Quick shot of the PSU, cables are the perfect length to reach everything in the case 7xSATA, 1 molex, 1 20+4pin and 1 4pin mobo connector"

Where does the 7th HDD (SSD or 2.5" presumably) fit?

In picture 6 you can see the 4 holes on the bottom of the drive mounting cage for the 2.5" drive underneath (screws go from inside the cage bottom to the drive hanging outside). The power cables run there fine as I have had a drive running there for a while now.

RB

Associate
I have this case, with 5x 2tb drives and 64gb ssd. Cable management is hard! There isn't too much room to get everything out of the way for air flow. What i did do however was change the front fan. The fractal one is rubbish. I also used the same cpu cooler as above with a i5 2500T 45w. Still gets fairly warm when maxing all 4 cores. With all the heat from the drives blowing over the cpu cooler, then almost touching the PSU. Temps are 32c idle and have seen 70C full load. Average temps are low 40's.

I really do love that case though!

Associate
I love this case but I couldnt justify putting something so expensive and beautiful in cupboard....looks like im going to have to by a cheap midi tower for my server /sigh

Hitman
Associate
I love this case but I couldnt justify putting something so expensive and beautiful in cupboard....looks like im going to have to by a cheap midi tower for my server /sigh

Definitely wouldn't put it away given the money spent on it LOL!

Great build!

Back
Top Bottom