Fractal North, case of the year contender

I wasn't impressed with the North XL. It's bigger yes, but it absolutely does nothing with the extra space. I think if you need a bigger case, there's better options.
I was planing the move from the regular to the XL, and as I don’t want/need an AIO, the only advantage would be more room for the infamous 4000 series power cable. Even vertical mounting the GPU wouldn’t be much better, if better at all.
I’m curious about the new H7 flow. Is like a modern take to the Enthoo Primo. Almost a most to stick a Monsta or at least a 60mm thick rad on the bottom.
If I was buying now, would be buying the XL, but swapping, nope. Ag least until (if) we have 140mm T30s for the symmetrical look for the front.
My main criticism for the North is the fixed rail for the front fans. Also the loose top panel. Come on, isn’t a cheap case. Looks good, but should be a bit better.

I was planing the move from the regular to the XL, and as I don’t want/need an AIO, the only advantage would be more room for the infamous 4000 series power cable. Even vertical mounting the GPU wouldn’t be much better, if better at all.
I’m curious about the new H7 flow. Is like a modern take to the Enthoo Primo. Almost a most to stick a Monsta or at least a 60mm thick rad on the bottom.
If I was buying now, would be buying the XL, but swapping, nope. Ag least until (if) we have 140mm T30s for the symmetrical look for the front.
My main criticism for the North is the fixed rail for the front fans. Also the loose top panel. Come on, isn’t a cheap case. Looks good, but should be a bit better.

So my North XL arrived today - yes it's big but not overly tower sized massive, so doesn't look out of place in the living room.

I went for the XL so I could fit the side mount fans rack (which would not fit in the normal North case due to my tower cooler / gfx card, and also for the 3 front 140mm fans, in addition to which the normal size North struggles to fit a 4090 AIB.

The top panel isn't loose, it slides snuggly into place.

I'm a bit disappointed with the wood because it looks light oak rather than dark walnut.

Not sure if I should buy some magnetic dust filters for the top.

Incidentally I saw this morning an unknown company (I guess Chinese) is selling knock off replicas for £50, as far as I can see they have cheaped out on the fans and i/o USB ports, (and god knows what else) non-removable top, otherwise they look identical

Yep, had an enthoo primo since pretty much launch, have since bought a 480x60mm rad so that's pretty much a requirement.
That basically leave me with Corsair 7000 or NV9/Entho Pro 2/719/server...

I have a 240x60 and Monsta 280x85 (86?) as well, so I'm not even sure I could fit both of those plus the 480. I've considered routing the 480 externally as it would give me a lot more options!
Tbh the Monsta kinda needs p/p to be effective so that's over 130mmm with fans :o

Last edited:
I did a lot of testing with my D15S on a 13900K in this case. Surprisingly, I couldn't get any exhaust fan setup to imrove CPU temps. Everything I tried actually increased temps a bit. I am still running only the two front stock fans. (This is with the glass side panel, not the mesh)

Last edited:
So is the standard sized North still a decent option? Thinking of moving my build into one. ATX motherboard, Arctic Freezer II 360mm. No GPU atm.

So is the standard sized North still a decent option? Thinking of moving my build into one. ATX motherboard, Arctic Freezer II 360mm. No GPU atm.
Depending on the GPU, you’ll struggle with the AIO, which should be mounted as front intake in the regular north. Doing so, will reduce quite a lot what gpu you’ll be able to fit there. Personally it’s easier to keep compatibility on the regular North using air coolers or 240mm AIOs. Anything bigger than that, unless the GPU is short, the XL is a better option.

I did a lot of testing with my D15S on a 13900K in this case. Surprisingly, I couldn't get any exhaust fan setup to imrove CPU temps. Everything I tried actually increased temps a bit. I am still running only the two front stock fans. (This is with the glass side panel, not the mesh)
There’s only so much the front intakes can do. They won’t be able to do a lot before getting really noisy because of the turbulence caused by the wooden slats. Something to do with back pressure, which wouldn’t be an issue with a uniform mesh behind the fans. You could use a top intake in the first position, closer to the front of the case, to feed some extra air for the CPU cooler, but that would depend on the GPU you’re using and if is a flow through design.

Tempted to get the North for a rig in the lounge. ITX seems to limit my options and makes it more expensive.

Anyone experience with TG vs Mesh side panels? Thinking mesh might be slightly louder, but better for cooling…

Tempted to get the North for a rig in the lounge. ITX seems to limit my options and makes it more expensive.

Anyone experience with TG vs Mesh side panels? Thinking mesh might be slightly louder, but better for cooling…
Not much difference I guess. If front intakes lacking, side mesh may help, but not many scenarios where it will happens. Side mesh may cause some pressure loss, as the air may escape through it before reaching the back of the case, but again, not to a considerable level.
It’s more about the looks. I wanted something without a glass panel and the possibility of using side intake if/when Seasonic makes the 90 degree 12vhpwr native cable available in the UK. The glass panel should be slightly quieter, as you mentioned, but again, not a clear cut.

I use side mesh with a custom fan mount so I can run 4x140s as intake on the sides.

I need to do a bit of testing over what the right fan config is but my GPU (vertial mounted) seems a lot happier like this.

I saw a video which showed there was no difference in temps between mesh and glass, which surprised me. That said I run an XL and there really is no need for additional fans except adding a rear exhaust as this case is incredibly cool and quiet with the stock set up, mine is completely silent. Best case I've ever owned.

As for @Troezar the standard isn't big enough to fit a 4090 AIB (but will fit a FE), which is why Fractal brought out the XL (it is only slightly larger) so the standard version is probably not a good idea as the RTX5000 series could be even bigger than 4000

Back
Top Bottom