Fractal Torrent Compact and Torrent Nano

Soldato
The Compact looks great. Though it's still larger than most mid-towers :p

I'm not convinced by the Nano at all. It has a larger footprint than a Meshify C, and isn't far off in volume. It's absolutely enormous for an ITX-only case - near enough 50% larger than Fractal's previous ITX tower (Nano S).

Soldato
The nano is weird

Far too big for most SFF fans and too small for people in the middle

the temps in both the nano and compact are a bit funny, the normal torrent easily outclasses them as if the airflow path on the smaller versions don't work well - I suspect those 180 fans are too strong for a small case, which causes the airflow in narrow paths and bypasses critical components leading to high gpu temps and higher motherboard chipset temps

Associate
the temps in both the nano and compact are a bit funny, the normal torrent easily outclasses them as if the airflow path on the smaller versions don't work well - I suspect those 180 fans are too strong for a small case, which causes the airflow in narrow paths and bypasses critical components leading to high gpu temps and higher motherboard chipset temps

I'm not sure if more reviews have been published since but the ones I read yesterday either stuck to using the supplied fans which means the compact is down 3x140mm compared to the standard version or used their own usual fans throughout and didn't make use of the 180mm's.

I've got a compact coming later today to replace my standard version. I currently use 2x180mm and 4x140mm fans but I'm hoping I can get away with using less as the case internals are smaller.

I'll post back in a day or two with my findings.

Caporegime
Yeah, could do with a review of the compact that sticks to a pure air cooled build, with the two fans left on the front and 3 added to the bottom to fully compare it to the full size Torrent.

The original Torrent is an enigma though, the temp differences are actually crazy.

Associate
I've now moved my system from the standard to compact versions and from what I've found so far the compact seems to be within a degree or two of the standard version.

Before moving across to the compact I tried running the standard version with just the 2x 180mm front fans to see what that did to temperatures and they only rose a couple of degrees so I'm sticking to running the compact in that configuration for now at least. So far it's very quiet and cool but I've only tested it while gaming for a few hours. Also I should point out that while my system is just air-cooled it is using higher end air cooling, a Noctua NH-D15 plus my GFX card is the Asus Noctua 3070.

The 180mm fans really are great though, their speed is set to case temp and they have yet to spin at more than 50% while keeping case temps around 30 degrees which is about 7 degrees above room temperature. They also push out enough air to keep the CPU in the mid-high 40's and the GPU in the high 50's.

I may need to add more fans come summer but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

For now I'm very happy with how the noise/temp balance is with my system and as someone who watercooled for over a decade I'm achieving results I thought impossible for air cooled systems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom