Freelander 2 any good?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure that's saying much :D

To what question is a Freelander 2 the only thing that you think is a suitable answer?
We've looked at loads and the Skoda Kodiaq is the ultimate but expensive.
This is up for £12k and the fiance wants it. She wanted a pick-up truck but saw this and was really drawn to it on a forecourt. I'm 50/50 on it but it is very nice and being the HSE model is nice.

Don
£12k seems lol money for a Freelander 2, when you could get a Range Rover Evoque for the same money (and the earlier ones are essentially the same car underneath)

BMW X3, Volvo XC60 or VW Tiguan would all likely be better options in terms of reliability at this price point though

Soldato
OP
You can get a nice car for £12k.
Why does she want something as unpleasant as a pick-up or off-roader?
Because it's got to be 4x4 or we can never leave home if the weather turns bad as where we live now is single track lanes and steep hills for 2miles before you get to a decent two way road.
Skoda Kodiaq is our main goal, but we need another car and this was a thought.
I knew Freelander ended but didn't realise it was essentially replaced by a Discovery Sport. The Discovery 4 we were advised but £700 a year tax and as much as a Kodiaq.

Soldato
I was looking at these recently but at a much lower price point. I quite fancy the 3.2 straight 6 but also in Japan they did a 2.0 ecoboost version. Looking into them though, they were meant to be a significant improvement.

Anyway, not much help, but I was looking at £5k for one of these, so as above, likely better options out there for your budget.

Last edited:
Don
Because it's got to be 4x4 or we can never leave home if the weather turns bad as where we live now is single track lanes and steep hills for 2miles before you get to a decent two way road.

Neither the Freelander or the kodiaq are fulltime 4x4 though - they use Haldex so are predominantly FWD. An old Audi A3 quattro or Audi TT has a similar drivetrain.

A set of winter wheels/tyres for whatever car you actually want would probably be a better option.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I had a '08 L2 2.2 TD4 for a short while, bought it cheap with a few issues. I never took it proper offroading, although there was a siutation where I had car full of people and some tools in the boot and it managed fine up a pretty steep muddy hill. It would probably help if you specified what you need the car for, as there's a high chance there're better cars for the job. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I knew Freelander ended but didn't realise it was essentially replaced by a Discovery Sport. The Discovery 4 we were advised but £700 a year tax and as much as a Kodiaq.

Older Tiguan or Touareg on all-seasons will pretty much handle anything up to the point you need a proper winter equipped 4x4, Touareg on the right tyres will hang in there credibly with proper off-road vehicles up to a point.

If it comes to proper ice though all bets are off - regardless of drive train only proper winter or ice tyres depending on how bad it is will give you a chance. Personally I've rarely encountered those conditions in the south though (and usually it is just 1-2 days - been decades since we've had extended ice conditions).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think 25° decline for 100m then 25° incline for about 50m (reverse that to leave) down a single track road so you can't build speed up to get back up.
Most cars in last 10yrs seem to be Haldex. It might work but if not we're leaving it at the bottom of 2 big hills until we can get it out lol.
99% of the time we'll be fine I imagine but we'll find out in next few days as it's due to snow.

Back
Top Bottom