1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeNAS 10 vs Xpenology

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by BlizzardX, Mar 20, 2017 at 5:02 AM.

1. BlizzardX

Wise Guy

So I'm considering replacing my DSM 5.2 virtualised build with FreeNAS 10. I'm after a supported system that isn't a 'hack' to make it work and that also has bitrot protection etc. built in to it.

My use cases will be general media storage as I use an alternative system for ESXi cluster.

Xpenology using DSM 5.2 has served me well, especially SHR2 with mixed sized drives... but now I don't need to worry about that, but as the system does look after my family photos I'd rather not let corruption occur in them.

Outside of Copy on Write and the checksumming using RaidZ(x), does FreeNAS have any benefits or disadvantages to Xpenology? Memory isn't issue and neither is vCPUs... i just want a reliable, speedy (WD red speeds e.g. 115MB/s+) storage system for general usage.

Thoughts?

2. Dappy

Gangster

3. Steveocee

Mobster

I moved to unRAID for my home servers backup server. Really impressed with how clean the interface is and how easy it was to get up and running. You get a 30 day trial to mess about but even then a full license for a 6 drive unit is only £40 (ish). It has a lot of additional features like docker and VM host but as a "base" NAS OS it's really good.

4. BlizzardX

Wise Guy

Thanks guys, I've used unraid in the past along with flexraid. I guess ultimately I'm after a filesystem that can automatically repair damaged files from the parity drives and I know ZFS has this but BTRFS is broken and not advised..... Can Unraid do this with BTRFS without Raid5/6 which it unraid doesn't care about?

Obviously Unraid only utilises a single drive for performance so its limited in comparison to freenas / xpenology but then as I hold my VMs on a SAN, I question do I really need an extensively fast storage array?

5. Snapshot

Mobster

I'd look at NAS4Free as well. It's what FreeNAS was before it got taken over so is a much purer NAS.

6. El Pew

Hitman

No. If bitrot and COW are requirements, then ZFS is realistically your only option. Dunno why people are suggesting Unraid, it doesn't have these features or anything like it.

7. Caged

Capodecina

FreeNAS 10 needs a few months really.

8. BlizzardX

Wise Guy

Looks like it doesn't it. Some of the simple features such as drive swap from the GUI needs resolving so you don't have to enter the CLI.