Freeola 1.2Gbps and 1.8Gbps FTTP

Soldato
Noticed EE carrying 1.6Gbps for the first time yesterday, when I was pricing up for a renewal. Good to see the speeds creeping up.

Does anyone know what is the theoretical maximum of FTTP?

Soldato
Noticed EE carrying 1.6Gbps for the first time yesterday, when I was pricing up for a renewal. Good to see the speeds creeping up.

Does anyone know what is the theoretical maximum of FTTP?
It's many Tbps but they keep increasing it as they find new methods. It's very future proof id say.

Edit. Quick Google and the current record is 301 Tbps

Last edited:
Soldato
It's many Tbps but they keep increasing it as they find new methods. It's very future proof id say.

Edit. Quick Google and the current record is 301 Tbps

Thanks. I did look it up a few weeks back just out of curiosity but couldn't find anything conclusive. Seems like there might be a bit of headroom yet then :D

Soldato
Thanks. I did look it up a few weeks back just out of curiosity but couldn't find anything conclusive. Seems like there might be a bit of headroom yet then :D
On a more technical explanation, the current standard Openreach is using is GPON, which theoretically can do up to 2.4Gbit down and 1.2Gbit up. They're actually lagging behind as a lot of altnets and even VM (via Nexfibre) uses a newer standard called XG-PON which can do 10Gbit on both down and up. There are faster standards and luckily still use the same fibre, so the infrastructure will already be there and future proof.

Reactions: KIA
Associate
A lot more ISP's are offering these speeds. The company I'm with, Lila Connect, currently offer 2.5Gb down, it doesn't give upload in the description but they do say "uploads that are 100x times faster than the average speeds in the UK" although they say this on the 1Gb option also. I have !Gb up and down and it's more than enough.

Soldato
Considering the speeds they were eventually able to get out of flimsy copper wiring which was never really designed for data transmission in the first place, the fibre cabling is probably pretty future-proof for a while yet. I know older Hyperoptic installs used ethernet to each flat so they could encounter a hard limit at some point, but even that's probably a long way off from being an issue.

Soldato
On a more technical explanation, the current standard Openreach is using is GPON, which theoretically can do up to 2.4Gbit down and 1.2Gbit up. They're actually lagging behind as a lot of altnets and even VM (via Nexfibre) uses a newer standard called XG-PON which can do 10Gbit on both down and up. There are faster standards and luckily still use the same fibre, so the infrastructure will already be there and future proof.

Very useful, thanks. When I had looked up the 'limit' originally, I could only really find the limit of the current retail options, rather than the medium of the fibre itself.

But it sounds as though from your response and others that it's well future-proofed. :)

Soldato
It's a shame these new profiles don't have a nicely increased upload speed. Previous fastest 1000/115 always seemed a little lean but 1.2 and 1.8 with only 120 upload is even more restrictive given that if you're going for these faster profiles you're likely going to leverage more bandwidth in both directions.

Back
Top Bottom