freesync on nvidia

Associate
I have a freesync 2 monitor. Will sync work with an Nvidia gtx 3070/3080? Is there a list of tested monitors or is it hit or miss. My monitor is a benq 3203r!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can use any adaptive sync screen like that from a modern NVIDIA card for variable refresh rates yes. The level of performance, range for VRR, quality etc can really vary though as many adaptive sync screens, especially older ones, didn’t go through much in the way of certification or validation. NVIDIA now test them all and some are awarded the “Gsync Compatible” certification if they pass certain tests. This screen hasn’t though

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

although having said that, if you’ve used it fine already and without issue, I’d expect it to behave basically as well on the NVIDIA card anyway :)

Associate
OP
You can use any adaptive sync screen like that from a modern NVIDIA card for variable refresh rates yes. The level of performance, range for VRR, quality etc can really vary though as many adaptive sync screens, especially older ones, didn’t go through much in the way of certification or validation. NVIDIA now test them all and some are awarded the “Gsync Compatible” certification if they pass certain tests. This screen hasn’t though

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

although having said that, if you’ve used it fine already and without issue, I’d expect it to behave basically as well on the NVIDIA card anyway :)
Not sure if i want to take the chance now. My monitor does support Variable refresh rate,HDR and low framerate compensator so not sure i would want to loose them going Nvidia.. I'll keep on hunting for an rx 6800 then i suppose. Just to stay on the safe side ...

Man of Honour
You do need Windows 10 unfortunately as well to use G-Sync compatible :( though I suspect that is an issue for less and less people.

I've used a couple of FreeSync monitors that aren't certified via G-Sync compatible without any issues - you should by now be able to find whether a monitor is problematic or not via Google searches, etc.

Man of Honour
Not sure if i want to take the chance now. My monitor does support Variable refresh rate,HDR and low framerate compensator so not sure i would want to loose them going Nvidia.. I'll keep on hunting for an rx 6800 then i suppose. Just to stay on the safe side ...
Sorry maybe I made that more confusing that it needed to be. It will work just as well from an NVIDIA card as from an AMD card as long as you’re on Windows 10 and have a modern graphics card. I was just saying that many adaptive sync screens just aren’t good generally at VRR and so don’t pass the NVIDIA certifications. But it will still work anyway even without the certification. So if you’ve found it fine until now, it will be the same from the NVIDIA card :)

And I won’t get started on it’s “HDR” ;)

Back
Top Bottom