• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FreeSync vs. G-Sync Compatible | Unexpected Input Lag Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Interesting results :D I think what we seeing here is AMD dedication towards Esports games like CSGO by reducing the input lag. They been working on Project-RESX for some time now.

06051347277l.jpg

amd_1831_project_resx.jpg

rscrle-17_30_41.png

"You can now use an adaptive-sync aka. FreeSync monitor on an Nvida graphics card without any workarounds or hacks as the Nvidia driver now comes with native adaptive-sync support. So I set out to test if there is any difference between running a monitor in FreeSync, or G-Sync"

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good stuff and showed that using G-Sync with V-Sync whilst running on a Freesync monitor, the input lag was better than AMD's implementation. The guy did state that both ran good though and apart from losing half the screen on the Asus monitor (NVidia could replicate it and are working on a fix), NVidia's first run on VRR is doing great.

Associate
I have been enjoying using the 2070 on my Samsung Freesync monitor more than the Vega 56 due to there being less problems strangely. The AMD cards would trigger HDR on some games that didn't even have it resulting in the wrong colour space.

There is also less flickering on the Nvidia side.

But in regards to the input lag I always used V-sync on the Nvidia side with G-sync which doesn't seem to work as well on the AMD cards at driver level in my own experience.

I have both Freesync and G-sync compatible setups so I am enjoying my gaming to the fullest.

Soldato
OP
Good stuff and showed that using G-Sync with V-Sync whilst running on a Freesync monitor, the input lag was better than AMD's implementation. The guy did state that both ran good though and apart from losing half the screen on the Asus monitor (NVidia could replicate it and are working on a fix), NVidia's first run on VRR is doing great.

Not sure if you watch the same video?
Freesync with AMD performed better in all the tests.
The strange thing here is Amd had lower input lag than nvidia in csgo without any sync happening.
So for a raw competitive experience the 580 is the better GPU.

Freesync enabled for AMD remained the closest vs it being disabled.

Soldato
OP
Anyway since contacting him, he believe they is actually an issue with this monitor and nvidia.

More testing will be needed. This doesn't help the fact each monitor could result in different results.

Edit
Supid phone.

Last edited:
Associate
I think that the monitor in the test was buggy but he will try again with another monitor when he gets one. The results are strange but G-sync was quicker with a fps cap and V-sync enabled but slower in the other tests so this needs revisiting.

Caporegime
Not sure if you watch the same video?
Freesync with AMD performed better in all the tests.
The strange thing here is Amd had lower input lag than nvidia in csgo without any sync happening.
So for a raw competitive experience the 580 is the better GPU.

Freesync enabled for AMD remained the closest vs it being disabled.
Ermmm, yes I did watch the video you linked in the description and I watched it again in case I made a mistake but you can see I didn't from this screen grab.

If you look down to where G-Sync is on and V-Sync is on, you will see it performs better than AMD. Not sure if you are struggling with his language?

Edit: Just noticed that capping at 138 and using G-Sync only, it also performs better than AMD using 138 fps cap and Freesync only. Seems NVidia's first iteration isn't too bad and will undoubtly get even better over time. It took AMD a couple of years to get it working as well as they have.

Soldato
OP
Ermmm, yes I did watch the video you linked in the description and I watched it again in case I made a mistake but you can see I didn't from this screen grab.

If you look down to where G-Sync is on and V-Sync is on, you will see it performs better than AMD. Not sure if you are struggling with his language?

Edit: Just noticed that capping at 138 and using G-Sync only, it also performs better than AMD using 138 fps cap and Freesync only. Seems NVidia's first iteration isn't too bad and will undoubtly get even better over time. It took AMD a couple of years to get it working as well as they have.

I stand corrected. Didn't see that bottom bit on YouTube app.
Has for Freesync Only avg 24.47 vs Gsync only 25.2

So it's not a win there. But its really nothing worth talking about.

The big difference and reason why I really created this thread was because of vsync off.
The competitive Esports experience.

Caporegime

The big difference and reason why I really created this thread was because of vsync off.
No problem and we all make mistakes at times. I imagine that most competitive esporters will be using the best frames and the best input lag monitors and not even fussing over VRR monitors.

Soldato

No. You posted it because you thought(as always) you was on to a winner.

Soldato
I can't believe that people even look at input lag any more these days. It's so minimal and very much just a thing to show numbers in graphs unless you have a bad/old setup.

Associate

So basically you're saying thanks Nvidia for screwing us over with G-Sync monitors we didn't need when all you had to do was release a driver to support VRR :p

Soldato
OP
No. You posted it because you thought(as always) you was on to a winner.

Try reading OP? At what point do I talk about Freesync or Gsync?
I even dig right into Project-resx that AMD has been working on, that I thought might be the reason why Amd input lag is lower. Turns out it might be a monitor issue with Nvidia.

The title is right from the video name on YouTube that is there for people to see the difference between Freesync and Gsync
Am more impressed without Freesync for games like CSGO /Esports

TLDR
  • When Freesync/G-Sync were turned off, Nvidia had a higher input lag of 10ms or more (and some of the gaps were mind boggling).
  • When Freesync/G-Sync were enabled, they traded blows in the 4 tests, with each GPU winning two of four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom