Freezer 7 Pro - Using a 120mm fan with it

Associate
Got a brand new AC Freezer 7 Pro from ebay for £12 all in and have been reading that the fan is quite noisy at 12v (33dB!) and not very good at any other volts thereafter (haven't built my Conroe system yet BTW).

So I've had a think about it and what I propose to do is remove the normal fan and attach a Sharkoon "Silent Eagle" 1000 120mm fan (19dB) to it using sewing elastic (going though the fins and then tied in a double knot back round the front).

Would it be safe to do this? As I want to OC my e6300 system but also want to keep the system as quiet as possible whilst doing it.

Cheers guys :)

Soldato
i have tried in the past to fit a 120mm fan to my freezer 64pro using elastic bands only problem is that it wasn't 100% sturdy and tbh i don't think you will get that big a temp drop if at all. by all means try and post back shouldn't see any major harm so long as you are carefull!

Associate
OP
harris1986 said:
i have tried in the past to fit a 120mm fan to my freezer 64pro using elastic bands only problem is that it wasn't 100% sturdy and tbh i don't think you will get that big a temp drop if at all. by all means try and post back shouldn't see any major harm so long as you are carefull!

I'm not going to use elastic bands, I'm going to use strong 12mm sewing elastic (which I'm also going to use to de-couple my hard drives).

Cheers for the reply.

Soldato
Hey this is intersting as i run mine at 1000 rpm but cooling isnt up to much but its quite. At 2500rpm its damn noisy but cooling is good. Please post back your results, with pics if pos. :)

Soldato
p4radox said:
I wouldn't say that's true. They're pretty much silent at 5-7V and cool everything I've seen perfectly.

Apart from an OCed pentium D... should handle the C2D ok though

I used cable ties to fit an akasa amber onto mine, worked very well.

Associate
OP
Jimbo said:
Hey this is intersting as i run mine at 1000 rpm but cooling isnt up to much but its quite. At 2500rpm its damn noisy but cooling is good. Please post back your results, with pics if pos. :)

Will do (though it's looking like a couple of weeks as I'm waiting for my P5B Deluxe to come in to stock where I bought it and have yet to decide on my HDD's :rolleyes: ).

Sharkoon SE 1000 120mm = ~38cfm @ 12v (1200RPM) ~20dB

AC 92mm fan = ~45cfm @12v (2500RPM) ~33dB

For me looking at those stats there's no competition, 13dB quieter with a loss of only 7cfm and considering the price I paid and that the Sharkoon's are only £7.50 online it's a no-brainer really.

Back
Top Bottom