Freezing the moment (Water)

Soldato
I'm still unsure about what lense to upgrade too and found myself not making the most of what I could do with the kit lense, so I thought I'd try a few things. First was freezing time as I can't do long exposures that well (no tripod)

The image is 100% crop then resized (hope I've said that right!)

Water1.jpg

1/200 at f4.5 ISO400 31mm

C&C welcomed as I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Firstly, nice pun. Water is just water in that photo, its well taken for sure...but its just water.

Have you seen those little minipods you can get from 'photographic retail outlets' that are a about £5...will probably really help if you are close to the water.

It does for me on things anyway.

Soldato
OP
TomWilko said:
Firstly, nice pun. Water is just water in that photo, its well taken for sure...but its just water.

Have you seen those little minipods you can get from 'photographic retail outlets' that are a about £5...will probably really help if you are close to the water.

It does for me on things anyway.

I know its just water, what made you think I thought it wasnt?

I've seen a minipod for about £7 that looks quite sturdy, so I'll pick one up tomorrow and have a play :)

Any other C&C? noob trying to learn the ropes here :)

Soldato
I think you have done an excellent job with that! The splash is nice a crisp and in focus. However, there isn't a lot of contrast between the splash and the background so it looks a little flat, especially on the right side. I am however looking at this on a laptop in low power mode so I could be wrong.

I'll take a look on my main PC later. GJ all the same :D

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
SiriusB said:
I think you have done an excellent job with that! The splash is nice a crisp and in focus. However, there isn't a lot of contrast between the splash and the background so it looks a little flat, especially on the right side. I am however looking at this on a laptop in low power mode so I could be wrong.

I'll take a look on my main PC later. GJ all the same :D

SiriusB

I agree it lacks contrast. A grey washing up bowl, stainless steel sink and clear water add up to a pretty flat picture. You should see the one I took just before of the water in the bathroom sink as theres not definition between them!

I'm going to try some different media with the water to see what effects I can get.

Permabanned
Very good picture.

I'm hovering these forums, in order to sponge up some tips. The waterdrop/splash action is something I'd really like to accomplish. Hell, I'm only just getting to grips with my camera's Manual setting! :o:o

You can buy a tripod which extends to 1.49m for around £9 + around £4 P&P. I'm not too sure if I can disclose the website to you, but it's easily found using Froogle. :)

Soldato
Hey everyone

Okay I checked out the water splash photo on my main PC and I was right, the image is a little flat.

I took this an opportunity to try out some colour correction :D Although I am not a digital photographer, I am learning how to correct and edit digital images.

This is what I have as my first go. It is not an easy picture to correct since I have to find the lightest and darkest points in the image. However, I think it looks better than the original :p If I do say so myself :)

Water1ColourCorrected.jpg

What do you all think?

Also, as long as a website IS NOT a competitor to OcUK, you should be able to post the link. So as long as the website doesn't sell PC components you will be fine.

SiriusB

Soldato
Do you have Photoshop at all?

If you do I would be happy to show you how to colour correct. :)

From what I have read about digital cameras is that no matter how good they are, they will suffer from colour casting. Which is basically where there will be more of one colour than the rest. It usually Red, but can be Blue. The idea of colour correction is to even up the colours and make your image look much better.

SiriusB

Associate
I hope it looks the same way as on my monitor...
I started with gradient map and channel mixer, then decreased amount of highlights in "Shadow/higlight" and thought it looks better. Plus a touch of sharpening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Orange Peel said:
Yeah I've got CS2 and Elements :)

Anything you can help me with is really appreciated :)

I only have CS, but the Colour Correction should work in exactly the same way.

Since there are two ways to colour correct [Depending if you are using a printer or a printing press] I will explain both. However, you're gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I might post it as a new thread in here since it will be useful to anyone who has Photoshop.

Look out for it in a day or two :)

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom