Frequently making typos/bad proofreading, how common is this?

Man of Honour
I've been doing it a lot lately - partly due to being distracted by other things I'm doing, partly because typing stuff out has become kind of second nature and I'm semi doing it instinctively and sometimes due to hastily using predictive text.

Soldato
I think auto-correct/complete features are partly to blame for this sort of thing getting worse, people are so reliant on them now while typing whatever they intend to say as quickly as possible. Even when they're not being used your brain sort of acts as though they are, and you end up with weird sentences and gibberish.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I think auto-correct/complete features are partly to blame for this sort of thing getting worse, people are so reliant on them now while typing whatever they intend to say as quickly as possible. Even when they're not being used your brain sort of acts as though they are, and you end up with weird sentences and gibberish.

I do this a lot, mostly on Google search. I half-mash the right word in because I know it will correct it for me. I will also do this in a browser with 'harder' words because I know I can right-click and correct them.

I think I've actually forgotten how to spell some words as a result of this.

Soldato
I have noticed recently that I have got very bad at proofreading what I write. Or maybe I always was. It is very common for me to think that I have written something, only for a while later to realise I have written something else.

For instance, yesterday I sent an email at work which began:

At least I thought it did until I re-read it today, and it actually reads:

I could have sworn it said the former. Is this common? Is it something to do with the quantity of emails I send or am I going mad? It's doubtless to do with my mind pasting onto the screen what I wanted to write and reading that back to myself rather than what's actually there.

Apply for a job with the Sheffield Star newspaper, you'll fit right in with the poor proof-reading, lack of grammar and spelling errors :D

Associate
I find that my damn phone changes words with the autocorrect function when in typing posts in the forum (do most of my browsing on this).

(I've left examples above, was typing "i'm" and the phone changed it to "in", it also changed "on" to "in" as well).

Soldato
Do it all the time!

Glad it's not just me!

I sometimes think my hands can't keep up with my head at times.

I always proof read emails etc, but I don't always do it for posts on forums for example or when messaging friends, I often think they must think I'm actually stupid.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find that my damn phone changes words with the autocorrect function when in typing posts in the forum (do most of my browsing on this).

(I've left examples above, was typing "i'm" and the phone changed it to "in", it also changed "on" to "in" as well).

Yep this also, I pretty much use my phone for everything other than work emails.

Commissario
Yeah this is why pro writers have editors, everyone's brain fails to read their own writing coz it thinks it already knows what it says.
An acquaintance of mine self published a book which I bought. The first edition was utterly awful, so many spelling errors, missed words, inconsistencies. I went through it and marked every error I could find and posted it to him.

In due time, I received my original copy back along with a second edition which corrected them all and I got a mention in the acknowledgements.

Soldato
I'm getting worse but half of it is me, half of it is the lag spikes from the "cloud" and systems at work that drop or jumble characters. :eek: :D

While we're on the topic, I used to find great joy in editing people's autocorrect settings on their PCs when they left their machine unlocked. Changing "can't" to a more offensive c-word being one example. "is" to "isn't" also made people question their sanity. :D

Back
Top Bottom