Fresh OS Install - Windows 10

Soldato
I have recently purchased a Samsung NVME SSD and will be looking to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my PC.

I currently have a SSD boot drive which going forward I'd like to keep as additional storage and just wanted to know the best way of going about this.

My idea is:

- Remove old SSD and install new NVME SSD
- Install Windows on new SSD and recover license through setup wizard (I read somewhere it can restore the digital signature?)
- Set up all my apps etc
- Attach old SSD
- Ensure boot drive is still for the new SSD
- Format old SSD from within Windows 10

Does that sound about right?

Soldato
OP
Don't know about license recovery but sounds about right. Good luck :).

Apparently when you install Windows you can just check "I don't have a license key" and once Windows is installed it will check the servers and restore your license key.

Either way, I think I have my key lying around somewhere but interesting nevertheless.

Will share my findings!

Looking forward to installing this Samsung M2 SSD, expecting good things!

Soldato
Just one additional thought, I have always been under the impression that you shouldn't format an SSD - I've only ever deleted the partitions and started fresh - although I think I've only ever used an SSD as the boot drive rather than just for storage!

Soldato
OP
Just about to do the same :)

Assume you got the 960 Pro :cool:?

Went for the 970 EVO Internal

Just one additional thought, I have always been under the impression that you shouldn't format an SSD - I've only ever deleted the partitions and started fresh - although I think I've only ever used an SSD as the boot drive rather than just for storage!

Ah yes I remember now, I will probably just delete everything off it in that case!

Apparently when you install Windows you can just check "I don't have a license key" and once Windows is installed it will check the servers and restore your license key.

Correct.

Full formatting unnecessarily can cause additional wear, but if you are re-using the drive as a data drive I would Quick Format it, which should not cause the same kind of wear.

Soldato
OP
Just an update, M2 SSD installed fine with no issues, Windows 10 installed in less than 10 minutes.

I can't believe how fast this thing is, I never thought I'd see the difference between two SSD's but it's night and day!

Windows as suggested automatically registered the license key after setup (just choose the option for not having a key during install).

Soldato
Just an update, M2 SSD installed fine with no issues, Windows 10 installed in less than 10 minutes.

I can't believe how fast this thing is, I never thought I'd see the difference between two SSD's but it's night and day!

Windows as suggested automatically registered the license key after setup (just choose the option for not having a key during install).
How fast is your boot times now, say from when you first see the windows logo? Haven't a clue how to measure it tbh!

Soldato
OP
How fast is your boot times now, say from when you first see the windows logo? Haven't a clue how to measure it tbh!

Well, from the moment I press the power button I'm up and running in Windows in 22 seconds to be precise! I've just noticed in general the opening and closing of apps and installing apps is so much faster.

Here's a comparison between my old Samsung Evo and the new:

Soldato
OP
Flipping hell @ sequential reads lol :eek: I need to upgrade!

It's crazy, never thought SSD > SSD would be so substantial!

I'm late to the party - as usual - but were you not able to install the NVME SSD and clone the SSD onto it? Then remove the SSD and change the boot drive in the BIOS?

Hi, I didn't clone the SSD as I just wanted to start fresh, but I believe you can use the Samsung Disk Wizard tool to clone the SSD, seems pretty straightforward.

Caporegime
So I tried again with W10 on both affected laptops. The friends installed find and is playing ball, however mine experienced exactly the same problem (installs fine, works for a short period and then the next time it's turned on = the automatic repair loop starts).

Time to send back the SSD to Amazon.

Soldato
So I tried again with W10 on both affected laptops. The friends installed find and is playing ball, however mine experienced exactly the same problem (installs fine, works for a short period and then the next time it's turned on = the automatic repair loop starts).

Time to send back the SSD to Amazon.

I had that repair loop problem, it's a known bug if installing from a USB. I fixed it by wiping the SSD and downloading Win10 onto a CD and it installed perfectly

Back
Top Bottom