Friday traffic question

Soldato
I'll miss the opening ceremony on friday as I have to go out and work in the evening. I need to be in Iver, Bucks around 8.30pm and I'm leaving from finchley in north london. The route is north circular going west to hangar lane and then A40, A312, and then I'm pretty much there. Or I could pick up the M25 and go down to junction 16. Normally I'd give myself an hour or so, but I'm wondering if the roads are going to be a nightmare and if I should give myself much longer? I know the stadium is east london, but do you think all main routes in and around london will be extremely busy, being the olympics AND a friday?

Soldato
I doubt it'll be that busy around those road. I think the public transport network will be ridiculously busy (took us an hour just to get out of the stadium last night to the bus stop). Roads from central London areas will be busy from there to the stadium (ferrying vips and all sort I reckon).
Just an assumption though!

Soldato
I reckon the Opening Ceremony is likely to cause some of the biggest road traffic issues of the entire Olympics. Just think about how many people from across the country have got tickets and won't be staying in London, but will be travelling in to see it.

While everyone has been told to use public transport and not to drive, you can guarantee there will be those who try and park somewhere in the outskirts and get public transport the rest of the way. The North Circular is bad enough already, I wouldn't want to chance a Friday evening when the Olympic Opening Ceremony is on.

It might be a longer journey, but taking the M1 and then using the M25 may turn out to be quicker.

Soldato
OP
I don't mind using M1/M25, but M25 is often terrible, do you reckon it might still be faster? Hmm, I don't know, you might be right.

edit: TFL sent me an email, and it looks like I have to seriously avoid the north circular and A40.

"London has now become an Olympic City. Please avoid driving into central London, on and around the Olympic Route Network (ORN) and near Games venues. Roads within the North Circular and the South Circular will also be affected this week and especially the key routes leading into London.

Congestion is already being seen on the A13, A2, A3, A12 and A40. Drivers using these roads should be prepared for significant delays and are advised to plan ahead, particularly to see whether journeys can be retimed to avoid the morning and evening peak periods"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom