Front Microphone input faulty

Associate
Hi, recently when ive been connecting my headset via green and pink wires into the front inputs of my pc the microphone one seems faulty (on my pc NOT headset) where when im talking ill just cut off mid sentence ect, ive tried different headsets and theyre the same so im assuming its the pc input. Is there any wire/splitter or fix i can do to help it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Associate
If the socket itself isn't faulty (is there any movement when a jack is plugged in?) then it's likely the wire that connects your front panel to your motherboard, or the connection there.

What motherboard do you have? Check the manual to see where the front jacks should connect to your board in case they have become detached. Open the side of your case, find the wires coming from the front panel, and trace them to the board, if they are still connected try removing and reconnecting to the same pins.

Associate
OP
If the socket itself isn't faulty (is there any movement when a jack is plugged in?) then it's likely the wire that connects your front panel to your motherboard, or the connection there.

What motherboard do you have? Check the manual to see where the front jacks should connect to your board in case they have become detached. Open the side of your case, find the wires coming from the front panel, and trace them to the board, if they are still connected try removing and reconnecting to the same pins.

It does just slip straight in which makes me think its the input socket itself but like i say when im in discord and im talking to people itll just cut out mid sentence or like im lagging. But ive tried my headset in my brothers pc and it works fine so it has to be the port right? i tried putting it in the back as there is a pink and green round there however when i plug them in the front normally a Realtek box pops up and allows me to select the input eg mic in for pink and headset for green, but when i plug them the pink one in the back no box pops up to allow me to select mic, i appreciate your reply but i honestly wouldnt know where to start the with the pins and stuff :(

Associate
If you're happy to just use the rear panel, or at least use it for testing purposes plug your microphone in the pink socket, your microphone should work without any need to do anything.
If it doesn't open your Realtek driver panel (in your system tray, bottom right) click the microphone tab and check that the rear socket is default, you may need to change your microphone input device in Discord if you changed it from use default device.

Regarding your audio jack, if your microphone doesn't connect with the jack properly that's your likely culprit. Only way to fix that would probably be to solder a new socket onto the control board / replace the front panel board in your case.

Soldato
You ideally should test the rear/back connections anyway to verify if the problem is specifically with the case audio connection, even if it means shifting your PC about for 5 minutes, as Munchies said previously, also replug the connector between the motherboard and case to make sure it's in correct. Sockets will knacker sometimes, so the port on the case could be shot, but it should be easy to isolate just by doing one or both of those things.

Back
Top Bottom