Frustrating Prusa MK3S problem - Filament only comes out manually

Soldato
My Prusa has developed a really frustrating issue I can't seem to resolve. When it starts to print no filament comes out - or it's just tiny little blobs. If I move the extruder via manual, it comes out fine. If I perform a first layer calibration test, it comes out just fine.

Go to print, nothing. Or very little. Did the same thing last time I needed to print something but after I stripped and rebuilt the head (finding nothing obvious along the way) it worked fine. I've tried new filament (PLA) in case it was moisture but does the same with a new roll.

It's driving me dull because I can't seem to fix this issue. Any ideas?

Associate
My Prusa has developed a really frustrating issue I can't seem to resolve. When it starts to print no filament comes out - or it's just tiny little blobs. If I move the extruder via manual, it comes out fine. If I perform a first layer calibration test, it comes out just fine.

Go to print, nothing. Or very little. Did the same thing last time I needed to print something but after I stripped and rebuilt the head (finding nothing obvious along the way) it worked fine. I've tried new filament (PLA) in case it was moisture but does the same with a new roll.

It's driving me dull because I can't seem to fix this issue. Any ideas?

While trying to print and extrude are the extruder gears turning or do they appear to be either skipping or stalling?

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Try tightening your extruder Allen key - if extruding manually, then can be it's not tight enough and just on threshold - had this a few times.

Other than that, it's possible it could be your slicer settings - try printing test pattern or one of the preinstalled objects on the SD card to test (eg benchy!) - this'll confirm for sure

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately I can't find the SD card. Have reset the printer, Reinstalled Pruslicer and still the same. I've also noticed the printer doesn't wait for the bed and nozzle to heat up before starting to print.

Associate
Unfortunately I can't find the SD card. Have reset the printer, Reinstalled Pruslicer and still the same. I've also noticed the printer doesn't wait for the bed and nozzle to heat up before starting to print.
What's the start gcode look like? The default in PrusaSlicer for a makes should wait for the bed and nozzle to heat up.

What about my earlier question?

Soldato
OP
What's the start gcode look like? The default in PrusaSlicer for a makes should wait for the bed and nozzle to heat up.

What about my earlier question?
This is the start G Code

M862.3 P "[printer_model]" ; printer model check
M862.1 P[nozzle_diameter] ; nozzle diameter check
M115 U3.11.0 ; tell printer latest fw version
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M83 ; extruder relative mode
M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; set extruder temp
M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set bed temp
M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; wait for bed temp
M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; wait for extruder temp
G28 W ; home all without mesh bed level
G80 ; mesh bed leveling
G1 Z0.2 F720
G1 Y-3 F1000 ; go outside print area
G92 E0
G1 X60 E9 F1000 ; intro line
G1 X100 E12.5 F1000 ; intro line
G92 E0
M221 S{if layer_height<0.075}100{else}95{endif}

; Don't change E values below. Excessive value can damage the printer.
{if print_settings_id=~/.*(DETAIL @MK3|QUALITY @MK3).*/}M907 E430 ; set extruder motor current{endif}
{if print_settings_id=~/.*(SPEED @MK3|DRAFT @MK3).*/}M907 E538 ; set extruder motor current{endif}

When extruding the gears are fine. Probably should have mentioned I use a RasberryPi with Octoprint and reflashed the SD card with a new image of Octoprint. I started a print which seemed to be fine. Will try a full print in the morning and see if that has cured it.

Update - seems it was something with Octoprint. Started a print this morning and the printer waited for temps to come up and set off happy again.

Appreciate the help :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom