FTP results/possible gains + Stages Power Meters $99 closeout sale!

Associate
OP
Thanks. Good stuff

It's more than just FTP though - I feel absolutely amazing in terms of health and fitness, and I'm also just a lot more relaxed in my mind too. If I look at my average speed when I started out - I got a road bike I think Sept 16 ish, then March 17 I did a first sportive - 72 miles at 14.7 mph average. In a few weeks I have a 70 mile sportive coming up that I'm hoping to do at around 17.5mph average. Really that's a fair leap - and way more than the FTP jump would indicate.

FTP is just one test - you could get a 10% gain in that specific test but actually, overall, be 15% or 20% stronger/faster/better, imo anyway. I should probably do another FTP test but tbh I'm too busy just enjoying every minute of this frankly utterly glorious summer of cycling.

17.5mph average is some nice pacing, esp @ 70 miles! My 63 mile ride/5000ft ride on Saturday was only 11.5mph average :( there were slow offroad technical bits, and lots of ruining hills, although looking back a few years on my hillier rides I was average 7-8mph on some lol

I guess i'm trying to get head round FTP purely so I can start training properly with the new power meter, want to make sure in the right zone, to put out some effective intervals. So far any fitness gains have come from purely trying to better my own PRs on segments and taking it easy rides turning into trying to get up hills like an idiot lol. Agree on the weather, best conditions i've ever witnessed :D

Associate
OP
Scott Spark full susser, she has a lovely twinloc button, which controls both front and back together, lockout, trail and descend mode.

Associate
OP
Got into a pretty solid routine since getting the power meter, 45min Spin class on a Tuesday which is really intense, Night ride on a Thursday 20-25 mile/2000-2500ft which includes holding onto faster riders wheels and everyone going crazy on different Strava segments, finally longer ride on a Saturday 30-50 miles 3000-500ft, on the Saturday ride i've been doing some sweetspot and sprinting intervals going off power too.

Had lots of fatigue on the graph, but bar legs feeling a little sore on Sunday recovering really quick, highest i've ever seen my fitness.

5khcobq.png

Last nights ride got all time gold PRs on most of the main power metric times

WHqWNpi.png

They all seem to be going in the right direction

5v2esht.png

I'll also do some shorter recovery rides 10-15 miles, if i'm off on Friday, or Sunday morning, just for a ride out.

Thinking of starting some short morning rides before work, they'll be 4-6 miles, would such low mileage even be worth it? Was thinking of smashing it fast as possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom