FTTH Install

Soldato
OP
Had FTTP installed today, they had a bit of a mare trying to get the fibre cable in due to blockages in the ducts but they got there in the end and its not something they've never encountered before. Over WIFI using a Netgear A7000 WIFI adapter this is the lowest result I got out of 18 speed tests…

7541086922.png

I have had higher but this is because speeds have risen temporarily until 3rd September when they will go back to normal what I am paying for i.e. 236mbit/s down 46mbit/s up. Router is in another room about 11ft away through one wall.

Soldato
OP
Connected with an Ethernet cable and got this...

7543671176.png

Think I'll keep using the Ethernet cable until September 3rd when speeds are due to go back down to 236Mbps down 46Mbps Up. My WIFI adapter might be able to handle those speeds.

Soldato
OP
Here are some photos from my FTTP installation...

First thing they took the wall plate off...

10sccg0.jpg

w9tnko.jpg

Brought the toolbox in and connected up some kind of testing device...

ot3did.jpg

2yv4duv.jpg

Getting ready to pull cable in...

2ah64r7.jpg

Fibre cable pulled in...

e9apoi.jpg

ONT fitted to wall...

31771u1.jpg

New blanking plate to replace old BT socket...

2n0t5c.jpg

Close up shot of ONT...

e7frlc.jpg

New Netgear router and cordless phone unboxed and connected...

v3fu4h.jpg

Final shot of finished installation...

sq1sm9.jpg

Caporegime
Impressive that they managed to pull the fibre into an internal socket - very rare to see conduit buried inside a wall like that.

Soldato
Must do things a little bit different in Jersey :p

Just had a look at Sure's website, nice prices £43pm for the 250/50 profile.

Price seems to jump crazily though! £230pm for 1Gb/100Mb profile, wow :o

Caporegime
£230 for a gigabit is probably aimed at hotels, businesses/people running co-working spaces etc. so it's priced accordingly - it's also still very cheap if you consider the market as a whole where Hyperoptic, Gigaclear and B4rn are outliers. If you make a £60 gigabit plan for a home user then you get people who end up costing the ISP more than they bring in, and adding capacity on the Channel Islands is a bit more work than just swapping out peering connections at LINX etc.

Back
Top Bottom