Fuji X Series

Caporegime
Thank you for your responses, Scuzi, Raymond Lin and LiE. Spending up to £2000 is a bit insane really given I am pretty new to photography and the smart option would be to purchase a used Fuji X-T3. I am a bit of a weird one when it comes to used gear though. I much prefer new. I have been looking at the Fuji X-S20, which is slightly cheaper than the first two options I listed but still pretty expensive. I like the idea of the film simulations of Fujifilm cameras.

For home use...X-S20, or even X-S10 is perfectly fine. Don't expect miracles but the auto focus is modern enough.

Man of Honour
For home use...X-S20, or even X-S10 is perfectly fine. Don't expect miracles but the auto focus is modern enough.
The X-S10 autofocus performance is comparable to the X-T4 and the X-S20 is further improved. Yeah, they can’t match Sony but they’re plenty good enough for most photographers. I recently took my X-S10 on vacation and was shooting the kids skiing. I would be standing at the edge of the slope and they’d come flying past. I tried the subject tracking modes and traditional spot/zone focusing, and was pleasantly surprised with how many keepers I came away with.

Based upon what Fire Wizard is saying, I’d expect either would be fine. I’d recommend going to your local branch of London Camera Exchange and having a play with them all. You’ll get an idea of what feels right for you.

Soldato
I am looking at getting back into photography. I have had a couple of cameras in the past. The Canon 60D, 7D and the R10. I am currently debating between the Fuji X-T5 with the XF 18-55mm or the XF 35mm f/2 R for around £1800 or the Fuji X100VI for an extra £400 above retail pricing for £2000. Would anyone be able to offer any advice
please. I am very much an amateur amateur. :p

The 18-55 isn't sharp enough to get the most out of the xt5. It's quite noticeable but is otherwise pretty good.

I can recommend looking at Flickr groups for specific lenses and from that work out what focal lengths you like. From there it's about if you want to use zooms, primes or both. It's then about price, weight, speed etc of the lens. You will see that certain focal lengths suit certain styles and subject matter.

18-55 is great on the cheaper bodies to work out what focal lengths you like. If you find you like a few ranges within 18-55 but want a faster lens in those areas then it's prime only and there's no way around this. Possibly soon with ai rendering and better masking.

Edit - I wouldn't recommend 35mm like the f2 on fuji outside of the old 1.4 just for the rendering alone and nothing else. It's an awkward focal length. You will find more often than not you want something just slightly wider.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm back to Fuji again, picked up a slightly cosmetically battered but working X-T1 and 56mm F1.2 combo.

Given price I paid and what I'm looking for, happy to keep it for a while this time to get the hang of the system.

Back
Top Bottom