Fuji X Series

Associate
Hi,

Rather then continuing discussion of X Series camera in numerous unrelated thread, I think it deserves its own thread to coincide with this mornings press releases.

So as predicted by many rumor sites the X100s black is now official, along with the XF 56 f/1.2 lens.

Check here for the official press release for:

- X Mount Lens Roatmap
- Black X100s
- Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2

The lens roadmap in particular looks very interesting and it is good to see Fuji is investing a lot into this system.

Associate
OP
Ksanti, X100 with 35mm sensor and 50mm lens would be awesome but I feel the demand will be lower then 35mm. Also the cost will be similar to that of Sony RX1.

Best alternative is X-Pro1 with 35mm f/1.4 for now.

Associate
OP
Given that Fuji didn't introduce replacement model, it will be difficult to find the 18mm kit until the free lens deal runs out at the end of January.

Going to send my free lens paperwork tomorrow.

Associate
OP
Here is example of ISO 3200. Too easy!

Scaled to:

25%
DSCF0583.jpg

50%
DSCF0583_50.jpg

100%
DSCF0583_100.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Over 2k for fixed lens camera is a lot of money if your just looking for something compact. I'd go for X100s if I were you, and still have money left to buy another L lens.

Edit: For the price of Sony RX optical viewfinder you can get X100. or if you needed the lens hood then you can probably get X100s for the equivalent amount. Crazy money!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There are some really cool Fuji X lenses going in the second hand photography shop + cafe in Museum Street near Tottenham Court.

Also Fuji X-Pro1 + 35mm f/1.4 just went for £490. I was sooo tempted to get it, the wait for the 35mm is killing me!

Associate
OP
Today, I had a good chance to use the 35mm f/1.4 lens with the X-Pro1.

It was used indoor mostly between ISO2000 - 3200, so it was quite dark. Initial impression of the lens is very good. It gives decent amount of bokeh at f/1.4 - 2. It is slightly slower to focus indoor compared to 18mm, but I'm not sure if I have the latest firmware for the lens. Overall chuffed to have gotten this lens for free!

Here is an example:

Associate
OP
XT-1 does look very nice, however the EV wheel is blocking shutter and FN button. On the XPro1 it is hidden and slightly raised.

The viewfinder looks really big, and I'm sure it will have very good EVF.

Overall, it does not tempt me as much as X100s, and I would love to see FF X100 that blows Sony RX1 out of the water for half the cost.

Associate
OP
Nice write up and photos OLV.

I still havn't had the chance to shoot outside with my 35mm, however i've had 2 birthday shoots and again 1 coming up today. Because it is indoor shooting between ISO 2000 - 3200, locking focus at f/1.4-2 is a challenge.

For some reason shooting in EVF mode focus is more accurate.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Recent trip to Buckler's Hard in New Forest.

Here is my thoughts of using the Fuji X-Pro 1 camera with the 28mm/35mm lens for past 5 months.

I don't miss using dSLR and can't imagine how I use to lug around a backpack with 2 dSLR, 3 lenses, tripod etc etc. It is great to simply pocket the camera into the jacket or use a small shoulder bag.

My photography really revolves around family and my 1.5 year old daughter, therefore in most outing the camera would be around my neck, and I can pick her up or push her buggy and still have the ability to take photos. Also being around other parents you no longer feel like a paparazzi.

In terms of using the camera, it really shines in portrait photography with both the lens.

Surprisingly the 28mm produces nice subtle DOF at f/2. Of the 2 lens the 28mm AF performance is lot faster outdoor/indoor, therefore it is my favourite lens for taking pictures of my daughter.

The 35mm is a lot better lens in terms of image quality, but you really need controlled subject to fully appreciate its quality. It would make fantastic portrait lens for wedding and fashion, but shooting street photography or anything that moves is no no as the lens AF is slow, and trying to capture photos that pop at 1.4 is mission impossible.

I found a small quirk when shooting in outdoor sunny environment with my sunglasses and the camera set to EVF mode. Firstly the eye detection sensor didn't work, and secondly the view through the EVF was pitch black. This must have been something to do with my prescription sunglasses as I have astigmatism and lens has anti reflection filter.

So far I'm having lots of fun with this camera, and getting really good results.

Associate
OP
What bag are you all using? I'd sort of overlooked that. I like the look of the Think Tank Retrospective 7, but I'm still looking...

I use small Lowepro Nova shoulder bag. Can fit my Fuji X-pro1 with 2 lens, 4 memory cards, 2 batteries and space for another extra compact camera.

It is roughly half the size of Think Thank Retro 7, and costs me about £40 5 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom