Fukushima--beyond urgent

Soldato
I'm sure this is probably a left wing source etc etc but what do you think of this? Scary stuff. The whole of the pacific polluted with radiation in 6 years?

http://www.********.com/view?i=040_1384817880

Aod

Aod

Soldato
This stuff has got both my parents spooked to all hell, but in reality, the nutters have been claiming doom and gloom since the very instant they heard the word "Fukushima" and as yet, nothing significant has happened since the initial event and cleanup.

The only development, as far as I'm aware, is moderate water leakage from the fuel holding pool which caused the Japanese Govt. to take control of management of the site away from Tepco, so the whole thing's in even better hands now.

The video's cut together from two-year-old footage from the time of the Tsunami-Quake, videos that are utterly unrelated to Fukushima, some supposedly "secret" footage of the fuel-rod holding-pool and, of all things, Russia Today (the worlds most credible news source... :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Soldato
This stuff has got both my parents spooked to all hell, but in reality, the nutters have been claiming doom and gloom since the very instant they heard the word "Fukushima" and as yet, nothing significant has happened since the initial event and cleanup.

The only development, as far as I'm aware, is moderate water leakage from the fuel holding pool which caused the Japanese Govt. to take control of management of the site away from Tepco, so the whole thing's in even better hands now.

Takes a while for the (detrimental) effects of radiation to show through - especially in humans.

But alas I know where you're coming from :)

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Takes a while for the (detrimental) effects of radiation to show through - especially in humans.

But alas I know where you're coming from :)

The total "released radioisotope material" from Fukushima is far less than that of Chernobyl, and the exclusion zone around the Fukushima plant is less than half the size of the one around Pripyat.

All things considered, Fukushima just wasn't that bad.

Soldato
Perspective people! There are billions of tons of naturally radioactive material in the pacific ocean. I probably wouldn't wish to eat shellfish caught in Fukushima bay in the near future, but then there are a lot of other industrial facilities I wouldn't want to drink the discharge water from either!

Fukushima pales into insignificance compared to Bhopal! Nobody has demanded the total shut down of the chemical industry and the worlds knickers remain firmly un-twisted about it!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Whilst the video is full of misinformation, I do remain concerned about Fukushima. The Japanese are not levering all the international help being offered and are committed in trying to sort this out themselves. Whilst they are very capable in the nuclear industry another earthquake does have the potential to release a large quantity of nuclear containments into the environment. This is a big disaster and there doesn't seem to be the urgency or international oversight to make sure this is done in the most effective and quickest way.

Soldato
The big issue is the removal of the fuel rods.... if there is an accident or mishap during that process it could get very hairy indeed.

In a perfect world nuclear energy is useful but its not a perfect world sadly...

Commissario
Was is the earthquake that did the damage or the Tsunami?

I think it was a combination of both, but mainly the fast the tsunami basically wiped out most of the emergency equipment (not to mentions the people who would have dealt with it) for a large part of the country.

IIRC the Fukushima plant functioned pretty much as designed, right up to and including the backup batteries that were keeping the cooling systems functional running until their design life expired - if the disaster had been more localised or less extreme at least one of the other power systems would have survived, or the disaster response teams/power company would have been able to get a portable generator in to keep the cooling running (from memory the plants were an older design that required active cooling even after shut down for an fairly long period of time).

Basically it could probably have survived one or the other, but not both at the extreme levels they were.

Soldato
It's a hard one to call, both parties are motivated to lie - the usual tin-foil brigade will espouse doomsday scenarios to increase net traffic, while the government & energy bodies will play down the severity to save face.

Time will tell on this one, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's worse than expected.

Back
Top Bottom