*** Full Res Ultrawide Screenshot Thread ***

Caporegime
Couple more of DS2, cracking game :D

DSpace-1.jpg

DSpace-2.jpg

Caporegime
Does Windows 10 Game DVR support recording of 21:9 videos? I guess it just captures whatever your resolution is set to?
If so, are there any video upload sites that support 21:9? Does YouTube?

I think I'm nearly convinced to buying one instead of a 4K TV. Especially if Borderlands supports it, this image looks very pretty.

kk35SWd.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
That doesn't look right to me at all ^^.

I've had a quick sneek at the FOV calculator and from what I can gather (and if it was me) I'd try setting it manually in the user.cfg file to around an FOV of 50. I'd be interested to see what it looks like if you did that. ;)

P.S. I know every post is supposed to contain a screenshot but it really doesn't apply to a discussion post so you'll have to bill me.

Caporegime
That doesn't look right to me at all ^^.

I've had a quick sneek at the FOV calculator and from what I can gather (and if it was me) I'd try setting it manually in the user.cfg file to around an FOV of 50. I'd be interested to see what it looks like if you did that. ;)

P.S. I know every post is supposed to contain a screenshot but it really doesn't apply to a discussion post so you'll have to bill me.

Heres a 50 FOV, everythings right up in your face, and you can't see his watch or anything, couldn't play it like that, looks well wacky :p
Ex-3.jpg

Caporegime
Thanks @LoadsaMoney for taking the time to do all that. The aspect ratio does seem less distorted but as you say, it's you that's playing and I don't have a 21:9 screen yet so I accept what you say. It's something to do with the game having a vertical field of view when really games that do 21:9 properly have a horizontal field of view. In this day and age and with a developer like this, it's a bit crap.

P.S. It looks like you're spot on with a FOV of 60. I tried a different calculator and it gave me this result instead of 50.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks @LoadsaMoney for taking the time to do all that. The aspect ratio does seem less distorted but as you say, it's you that's playing and I don't have a 21:9 screen yet so I accept what you say. It's something to do with the game having a vertical field of view when really games that do 21:9 properly have a horizontal field of view. In this day and age and with a developer like this, it's a bit crap.

P.S. It looks like you're spot on with a FOV of 60. I tried a different calculator and it gave me this result instead of 50.

Yeah it is vertical i think, like the previous games.

Heres another one at 65 (i think :p)

Ex-4.jpg

Caporegime
I had a brainwave this morning. Currently I use a 40" 1920x1080 HDTV as my main display. An equivalent ultrawide screen display would have to be 50" to keep the same height. There is nothing like this on the market, I don't think. So I set a custom resolution in nVidia control panel (only 1920x810) but it gives me the same aspect ratio as a 21:9 display (just with black bars) and it's about 37" diagonal which is in the ball park of UW monitors. By playing like this, I can experience 21:9 gameplay but with black bars and a lower resolution. Still, it will help immensely in deciding whether to get a proper display.

But... I have to say, I'm not sure it really does add much to the experience for me personally. Firstly, it feels a bit weird. Secondly, the reduction in height I'm not keen on. I was thinking of getting a 4K HDTV of around 49-55" which, because I sit so close, should fill my field of view much like a smaller UW would. So, there are some decisions to make over the coming months. I'll stick with this idea for now and see how I get on.

I took a screenie of Hitman 2.

gosnoSA.jpg

EDIT: So after an hour or so with it, I'm beginning to get used to it and enjoy it. The only downside now is - when playing with a mouse and keyboard I can get more immersed as I tend to lean into the screen but when using a gamepad I tend to lean back and then the effect isn't quite as good. And these days, I use a gamepad more than m&k.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom