Fun, economical coupe/hatch for £10k?

Associate
Hi all,

Question in the thread title really. I have a mk5 golf gt tdi which I've had for 18ish months and now fancy a change. It's my first diesel car and I've kind of got used to the good fuel economy (50-60mpg on dual carriageway driving to/from work).

Can anyone recommend any economical, but fun, hatchback/coupe for around the £10k mark?

The Golf isn't hitting it for me in terms of fun factor. Yes, it's reliable and well built etc, just no fun really.

I would really like a BMW e46 320cd but only in the 'msport' guise. I can't seem to find any however in my budget which don't have over 60,000 miles on the clock. (For some reason I consider 60k+ miles to be high miles. Should I?)

Many thanks in advance.

Edward

Soldato
I doubt anything for that money is going to be as economical/fun as your golf. Nothing worth changing for anyway.

An E46 320cd won't be fun, do not spend 10k on one.

Man of Honour
I could get flamed here for suggesting it

But you could get a 120d/123d, and a very nice one for 10k. Fun and economical. The 123d especially would be great, twin turbo goodness plus easily the economy of a diesel

Don
Stop bickering children :p O/P, what kind of mileage do you actually do? There are a large number of fun hatches available which are arguably more fun in a petrol variant than a diesel.

Associate
People should stop putting fun and diesel in the same sentances or otherwise explain how a diesel is fun to drive

Completely agree. Go for a decent fun petrol car (plenty out ther that will be way more fun than your diesel Golf) and suck up the extra fuel costs or stick with the Golf.

A halfway house like a 320CD really isn't going to be that much more fun than the Golf. With something like that you'll be compromised both in terms of cost and fun, so it'll probably frustrate you on both accounts.

Back
Top Bottom