Fund managed S&S ISA

Soldato
Hi all,

Who gas the best managed S&S isa?
Do I just use a bank or go with someone like nutmeg?
Looking to put a small monthly amount away for the next 30years for retirement lumpsum.
Don't know enough I manage my own SIPP or S&S ISA, so keeping it simple with a manage fund.

Thanks in advance

Associate
It is a bit of a minefield and you'll get about 50 different recommendations for the "best" one! :D
Best off speaking to an IFA for free. It's what I did with mine which is a managed fund where at the start of each new tax year part of it is wrapped up in an ISA (so it will be tax free income.)
My GF opened up a S&S ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown. It is a pre-made managed medium risk one and occurs fees. It's not taken off like a rocket or anything but I think it's around 12-15% return so far over the past 21 months she's had it so plodding along.

Soldato
OP
H and L does sound good, looks like a decent company.

Just don't want to go with some random sounding company and the disappear with my money lol

Caporegime
You don't need a managed fund.

Check this out ** - http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers has a very useful 'good for' comment & use SnowMan's spreadsheet - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583030

Most brokers have the same / similar funds available.

The cheaper ones all have large offerings. Cavendish use FundsNetwork so the same as Fidelity, Charles Stanley, **TD Direct has been bought by Interactive Investor, AJ Bell all have big offerings. Close Brothers is a cheap platform but they don't have Vanguard funds and I don't actually think you can see what funds they have without signing up.

Soldato
OP
Nuts/bolts, hydraulics/pneumatics, electronics/electrical yes

Finance - no. Those links are gibberish to me, I'm really not into finance. Just want someone else to manage it for me. I'll stick to fixing things, lol

Soldato
Go for a low fee globally diverse index tracker. I use Vanguard life strategy 100.

You may lose money and we are due a recession at some point. Critics of the vanguard say that it has a heavy UK wrighting.

Soldato
With a little research you can manage your own, most portfolios publish what they are invested in and what percentages / ratios, just copy some well respected managers and also look at what other shares people hold, as I no longer bother day trading I look for good divs which are then reinvested back into the portfolio, all wrapped up in an ISA.

www.iii.co.uk and www.shareprice.co.uk are good places to start.

Soldato
Go for a low fee globally diverse index tracker. I use Vanguard life strategy 100.

You may lose money and we are due a recession at some point. Critics of the vanguard say that it has a heavy UK wrighting.

I moved all mine into a Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 fund. The returns were about the same as I was getting, but the fees are a lot lower which really makes a difference.

Associate
Starting point should be wrapper choice really

ISA or sipp

Sipp gives you upfront tax relief, so if you’re a basic rate tax payer £80 become £100 higher rate adjust tax band on self assessment for the higher rate tax relief.

Much stricter on with draweral although pension flexibility rules have made a significant differance. Also significant iht benefits now

ISA no tax relief at start but more flexibility on withdrawal. Also a type of isa called a lifetime isa now exists which gives you a 20 or 25% bonus from the govt each year I can’t recall the exact amount but it has some rules about getting it. Such as you have to have opened one before you’re 40 and can’t access pre age 60 or bonus is lost. Also 4K p/a limit at the moment

Soldato
OP
Forgot to say, eventhough it's planned for retirement, didn't want to lock it away, just incase, but it would be last resort to touch it.

Soldato
Vanguard ISA is cheap and straightforward.

Lifestyle strategy funds (60/80/100%) depending on how much risk you want to take. Go direct to them - 0.15% cost for the ISA and then 0.22% fund cost.

Back
Top Bottom