• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Future Intel upgrades....

Associate
Okay, so I've been wrestling with the AMD/Intel debate for a while now, and even though I'm not really satisfied that I know which upgrade will be best for me longer term (because there's no real info on Agena/Penryn performance yet), I'm starting to lean towards Intel.

One of my arguments for upgrading to an AM2 rig was the future Agena/Barcelona support, but I just realised I don't know loads about future Intel chips- obviously I know Penryn/Nehalem chips will be available, but will I be able to use these chips if I got, say an Asus P5K-E motherboard (P35 chipset/DDR2)?

Just interested in support for the next 18 months or so as that's about how often I upgrade this stuff...

melbourne720 said:
Yep, get a P35 motherboard and a e2160. Then upgrade when Penryn comes out, if you want.

This upgrade really needs to be an upgrade in its own right, as well as a possible stepping-stone to another CPU....so I think I would grab an E6420 :)

Arterion said:
This upgrade really needs to be an upgrade in its own right, as well as a possible stepping-stone to another CPU....so I think I would grab an E6420 :)

I had an e2160 Vs an e6600 in identical setups, both at 3GHz. There was almost no difference. FEAR was identical, 3d mark 06 was almost identical, Supreme Commander was down 5% as was CoH. I was surprised how little difference the cache makes, and it could certainly run rings around your Winchester :D

melbourne720 said:
I had an e2160 Vs an e6600 in identical setups, both at 3GHz. There was almost no difference. FEAR was identical, 3d mark 06 was almost identical, Supreme Commander was down 5% as was CoH. I was surprised how little difference the cache makes, and it could certainly run rings around your Winchester :D

I'm not really one to overclock though...

Arterion said:
I know Penryn/Nehalem chips will be available, but will I be able to use these chips if I got, say an Asus P5K-E motherboard (P35 chipset/DDR2)?

Peryn will work in that board but Nehalem will be on a new socket.

melbourne720 said:
These chips are SO easy to.

Step 1. Set VCore to 1.35
Step 2. Set FSB to 340
Step 3. Boot PC and enjoy 3GHz goodness :D

Step 4. Run orthos for 8 hours for safety / OCuk screenie ;)

Hmm, i'd still rather not, but if it *really* is that easy, and pretty much guaranteed then maybe i could....

Arterion said:
Hmm, i'd still rather not, but if it *really* is that easy, and pretty much guaranteed then maybe i could....

That pretty much is it. There is more to it if you want to go higher, but I honestly think the only thing holding back any of these budget chips are the motherboards and the will of the users.

Back
Top Bottom