• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Future upgrade Haswell vs broadwell(?)

Soldato
Im one of those who does very careful planning when upgrading my base platform. Currently on the i920 @ 3,8ghz and its still going strong.

But, there's always a but, by the time Haswell it out I think an upgrade would be very beneficial to me but then I took a look at the intel roadmap and noticed Broadwell being planned to use 14nm process vs Haswell that's suppose to continue on the 22nm that Ivy is on right now.

Here is the problem: Broadwell is planned at the earliest 2014 where Haswell might be seen next year 2013 around spring if we are lucky. I cant figure out if I can push my i7 920 all the way to late 2014. What do you guys/gals think?

Soldato
OP
Coming from the old Core 2 Quad I felt a pretty good increase going to my i7 920 and I did this just a month or 2 after the chip was released for sale here in Denmark.

Im very picky about performance and I can already feel a bit of the age this chip has on battlefield 3 64 player maps. But to be fair this is the only game I have small "issues" with. Everything else is still going strong, which is why im not jumping on the Ivy train cause it would be stupid for 1 game.

Man of Honour
Here is the problem: Broadwell is planned at the earliest 2014 where Haswell might be seen next year 2013 around spring if we are lucky. I cant figure out if I can push my i7 920 all the way to late 2014. What do you guys/gals think?

Hang on to your i7 920 I think even in 2014 it will still be able to run all the latest games.

If you are looking to upgrade wait for the next gen GPUs and put one in your i7 920 rig.

When the time finally comes to upgrade your i7 920 you can move your next gen card to the new rig.

Man of Honour
Im very picky about performance and I can already feel a bit of the age this chip has on battlefield 3 64 player maps. But to be fair this is the only game I have small "issues" with. Everything else is still going strong, which is why im not jumping on the Ivy train cause it would be stupid for 1 game.

From what I understand some of the more modern SB/IB CPUs feel a bit stressed in the situation you mentioned above.

Soldato
OP
From what I understand some of the more modern SB/IB CPUs feel a bit stressed in the situation you mentioned above.

I did not know that. If I recall right Ltmatt(may be another user) upgraded to a 3770k and saw a significant boost to minimum fps (which is what we want the most).

Soldato
OP
Here's the thing. So fare ive had no gains from enable Hyperthreading in any game, not even bf3. If this is an abnormality I don't know.

tbh

tbh

Associate
I doubt Broadwell will be much to get excited over, it's just a die shrink; expect some gains in power efficiency and integrated graphics and a negligible increase in CPU performance.

If you had put off upgrading to Sandy Bridge in January 2011 and waited the fifteen months it took to release Ivy Bridge, do you think that the ~5% performance gains would be enough to validate that decision?

Soldato
OP
I doubt Broadwell will be much to get excited over, it's just a die shrink; expect some gains in power efficiency and integrated graphics and a negligible increase in CPU performance.

If you had put off upgrading to Sandy Bridge in January 2011 and waited the fifteen months it took to release Ivy Bridge, do you think that the ~5% performance gains would be enough to validate that decision?

You sir make a very good point.. I guess im going Haswell then unless someone else can persuade me otherwise

Man of Honour
Im very picky about performance and I can already feel a bit of the age this chip has on battlefield 3 64 player maps

BF3 is one of very few games that makes use of the extra cores/threads of an i7 with hyperthreading. This has been noticed the most in the situation above and when using sli/crossfire.

The point is games like BF3 are the future and there will be more coming along. If you were to upgrade to Haswell and were to get a CPU without more cores/threads you may get better individual core performance but lose out with future games that what to use extra cores/threads.

If you can get a Haswell equivalent of an i7 then no problem, if you get a more basic CPU it may feel like a downgrade if you run a future game that wants extra cores/threads.

Soldato
OP
Well when im going to make the upgrade its going to be the same style as I did with the i7 920. Which mean either a quad with HT or a hexa core with HT. Im just hoping that Clock for Clock its going to be faster than my old trustworthy 920.. and by faster I mean more than silly 10-15% which isn't enough(25% on average minimum)

Man of Honour
It should be faster and should clock higher than your i7 920 provided intel don't make any stupid mistakes like they did with ivy bridge and overclocking.

When Haswell hits the shelves don't be surprised if you find yourself looking at SB-E/IB-E if you want raw performance as these older chips should still outperform mainstream Haswell.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Im one of those who does very careful planning when upgrading my base platform. Currently on the i920 @ 3,8ghz and its still going strong.

But, there's always a but, by the time Haswell it out I think an upgrade would be very beneficial to me but then I took a look at the intel roadmap and noticed Broadwell being planned to use 14nm process vs Haswell that's suppose to continue on the 22nm that Ivy is on right now.

You don't need to upgrade at all.
If you did, you would have by now.

Get a tablet and a new smartphone instead.

Soldato
OP
You don't need to upgrade at all.
If you did, you would have by now.

Get a tablet and a new smartphone instead.

Tablet is a waste of money for the amount I use it and with the requirement I have such as 3g network support(while tethering is just fine it also swallows the battery on you phone). My Galaxy S2 is perfect for the requirement I have for phone.

I would rephrase you sentence to "You don't need to upgrade right now" as that makes more sense since we are not talking about now but when haswell or broadwell is released.

Associate
As the part of your questin says: "future" will answer :) Wait until Haswell/BW will be released, and compare then.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Tablet is a waste of money for the amount I use it and with the requirement I have such as 3g network support(while tethering is just fine it also swallows the battery on you phone). My Galaxy S2 is perfect for the requirement I have for phone.

I would rephrase you sentence to "You don't need to upgrade right now" as that makes more sense since we are not talking about now but when haswell or broadwell is released.

No i don't need to rephrase.
haswell is not an upgrade option as it will be midrange at best.

You already have the natural upgrade to the 920 available now, the 3930K.
If you think that is not enough of an upgrade for you then prepare to be disappointed after your long wait, as the next gen chips will bring power savings not performance to the table.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You already have the natural upgrade to the 920 available now, the 3930K.
If you think that is not enough of an upgrade for you then prepare to be disappointed after your long wait, as the next gen chips will bring power savings not performance to the table.

+1

Intel launched their most powerful desktop CPU to date the other day which will still be around when Haswell is out.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-440-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1672

Them old SB-E CPUs still pack quite a punch.:)

Caporegime
I am finding my 3930K is struggling now...Ohhh wait, that was just a bad dream :p Great chip and will be around for a good couple of years at least.

Top Bottom