• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Futuremark Releases 3DMark v2.3.3663 - Adds Vulkan Support

Soldato
Futuremark has just released a major update to its 3DMark benchmarking suite, adding Vulkan support while simultaneously axing its cousin, Mantle. This means that the API Overhead test now uses a Vulkan path instead of its previous Mantle one, which is sure to lead several enthusiasts into a frenzy of benchmarking under the Khronos's API (which has just recently been announced will offer support for multi-GPU in Windows 10, 8.x, 7, and Linux operating systems.)

New
Added Vulkan support to the API Overhead feature test. Use the API Overhead feature test to compare Vulkan, DirectX 12, and DirectX 11 API performance on your PC. The Vulkan test requires compatible video drivers with Vulkan support. Check with your GPU vendor for Vulkan driver support if your hardware is unable to run the test. Note that the Vulkan test replaces the Mantle test found in previous versions of 3DMark.

Improved
SystemInfo scan time greatly improved on X99 systems.

Fixed
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the API Overhead feature test to fail to show a score at the end of an otherwise normal run on some systems.
  • Fixed Time Spy test to properly recover from a corrupted shader cache - if runtime compiled shaders are found to be corrupted, they are deleted and recompiled. Uninstallation also now completely removes the shader cache folder.
  • Fixed a scaling issue that could cause parts of the UI to end up outside the display area on 1080p monitors with 150% DPI scaling. UI will now scale appropriately even on high DPI scaling settings.
https://www.techpowerup.com/231764/futuremark-releases-3dmark-v2-3-3663-adds-vulkan-support

You can download the new package@Steam or direct from TPU:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/futuremark-3dmark-timespy/

Soldato
Sweet. I see vulkan starting to get more steady support. TBH i prefer Vulkan and hope it really kicks off. DX12 is seeming to be a pain but i know why. Just takes time to move things over. Vulkan has shown some nice gains and can be widely adopted.

Caporegime
Sweet. I see vulkan starting to get more steady support. TBH i prefer Vulkan and hope it really kicks off. DX12 is seeming to be a pain but i know why. Just takes time to move things over. Vulkan has shown some nice gains and can be widely adopted.
Does vulkan not only really help AMD users currently as well though? From what I have seen opengl performs better on nvidia still where as vulkan drastically brings AMD up to nvidia's performance in opengl or even exceeding it (at least this was the case in doom anyway) so essentially it is just like dx 12 situation for amd and nvidia.

Soldato
Does vulkan not only really help AMD users currently as well though? From what I have seen opengl performs better on nvidia still where as vulkan drastically brings AMD up to nvidia's performance in opengl or even exceeding it (at least this was the case in doom anyway) so essentially it is just like dx 12 situation for amd and nvidia.

No, that used to be the case. Now, the 1080 is faster in Vulkan. When I first bought it in October I was getting around 128FPS at the beginning of the foundry level (2560x1440 nightmare settings), a few months ago this increased to 135FPS. I installed 378.92 yesterday, having skipped 378.78, now I'm getting 143 FPS in the same area with Vulkan. I tried OpenGL once a few months ago and it was slower with stuttering. Vulkan has only improved since then.

Caporegime
No, that used to be the case. Now, the 1080 is faster in Vulkan. When I first bought it in October I was getting around 128FPS at the beginning of the foundry level (2560x1440 nightmare settings), a few months ago this increased to 135FPS. I installed 378.92 yesterday, having skipped 378.78, now I'm getting 143 FPS in the same area with Vulkan. I tried OpenGL once a few months ago and it was slower with stuttering. Vulkan has only improved since then.
Ah good to hear, hopefully this means nvidia will push for more vulkan titles as well then!

What about 9xx series cards? Have they improved or still the same?

Soldato
Ah good to hear, hopefully this means nvidia will push for more vulkan titles as well then!

What about 9xx series cards? Have they improved or still the same?
If doom had a benchmark built in id give it a whirl however because it doesn't i cba doing my own runs.

Caporegime

Oh no, Vega' gona be slower than it now then in DOOM. :p

Associate
I am seeing the same. DX12 FTW! ;)

Powercolor R9 290 PCS+ (1100/1400) (No voltage adjustment available in wattman so I can't overclock further. Trixx/Afterburner not working)
4790K @4800

DirectX 11 Multi Thread = 1 508 473
DirectX 11 Single thread = 1 461 508
DirectX 12 = 20 201 980
Vulkan = 19 549 818

http://www.3dmark.com/aot/198560
-------------------------------------------
Some not so interesting numbers from older machine

AMD Opteron 180 @2880
Gigabyte 1050Ti Low Profile (1514/9008)

DirectX 11 Multi Thread = 649 631
DirectX 11 Single thread =642 898
DirectX 12 = (Not Capable of running win10/dx12)
Vulkan = 3 359 925

http://www.3dmark.com/aot/199548

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Nvidia have started to write their own extensions for Vulkan...could explain better performance. Though on digging it looks like AMD have these as well. I'm in over my head to be honest...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something wrong with this bench.

My Pascal Titan and 6950X are rubbish and it looks like I should upgrade to a RX480 (lucky I have a few of those).:D

Just as well the above setup runs proper DX12 games ok.:)

Soldato
Strange, it's stopped working for me today. When it tries to launch the Vulkan part nothing happens, I have to close 3dmark. However, when I just do the Vulkan section as a custom run it works every time. I've tried verifying the integrity, but it says it's fine. Others are having this issue on the steam forums.

Man of Honour
Strange, it's stopped working for me today. When it tries to launch the Vulkan part nothing happens, I have to close 3dmark. However, when I just do the Vulkan section as a custom run it works every time. I've tried verifying the integrity, but it says it's fine. Others are having this issue on the steam forums.

This happens to me with the screen resolution @1080p but if I run it @2160p I don't get the problem.

At the moment I think this bench is total garbage and full of bugs and should not be taken seriously.

Back
Top Bottom