Fuzzy text

Associate
Hi

The last few days I have started noticing intermittent fuzzy text in Windows 10. I see it typing this message. It slightly burrs like a flashing light.

Is it a hardware issue. The monitor? Or software, GPU drivers or corrupt windows?

Anyone have any experience of this, I have searched the internet with no luck.

Permabanned
Did windows update change your refresh rate? I had mine set to 50hz i noticed a few others here said it happened to them. I could not get mine to go back until i went into the display proporites manually selected the right one. It made the text and cursor awful.

Associate
OP
Can anyone run some monitor tests on their monitor for me so I can confirm if my monitor is faulty and what the fault is before I try and RMA it, as it's 10 months into warranty and I expect push back from the retailer.

https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

The Sharpness test, with the 'black on white' option ticked. I get a pulsating of the colours to the right of the screen and the text blurs.

The Test Pattern test, I get a pulsating flicker to the right 4 block checker pattern next the circle.

Or the following,

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Do all 11 patterns flicker and pulsate for you?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks.

Will do a HDD format and windows reinstall before I go the RMA route.

Just checked and the monitor is discontinued and I have read reports the retailer in question gives partial refunds claiming usage.

Associate
OP
Changed the DP port in the GPU and it now passes the tests.

So it's either the cable, the DP port, drivers or GPU is faulty.

Edit.

Well it seems to return after a few minutes after changing the connection port used on the GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know why when using video capture software on the PC to capture the following page, it's doesn't capture any flickering that was happening in the 11 boxes when recorded. I haven't tried an external camera yet.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Because the monitor is showing a representation of the output from our GPU, the capture card will capture the video output using software, so it can be played back. Now imagine you burn a small section of the monitor with a heat gun (irreparable physical damage), while you won't be able to see the video output behind the burned section because of the physical monitor but the software will still display it and the video card will capture it.

Associate
OP
Because the monitor is showing a representation of the output from our GPU, the capture card will capture the video output using software, so it can be played back. Now imagine you burn a small section of the monitor with a heat gun (irreparable physical damage), while you won't be able to see the video output behind the burned section because of the physical monitor but the software will still display it and the video card will capture it.

So the PC software captures what the GPU outputs not what the monitor is showing.

So this also confirms any fault is the monitor and not the GPU.

And a external camera is needed...

Associate
So the PC software captures what the GPU outputs not what the monitor is showing.

I believe so yes. You could just point the camera at your monitor to show us the problem.

So this also confirms any fault is the monitor and not the GPU.
I was surprised it got fixed with the DP cable change, it may be down to other issue idk? try recording the problem with a camera

Associate
OP
I believe so yes. You could just point the camera at your monitor to show us the problem.

I was surprised it got fixed with the DP cable change, it may be down to other issue idk? try recording the problem with a camera

I need to get a camera first as I do not have a camera phone.

I have purchased a new DP cable and fault is still there. But the fault is now not happening much at all over the day with either cable, hence I need to get evidence. As the RMA collection is Monday and they have said if they find no fault I will be charged.

At least with your comment and the video capturing so far, I now know it's not any internal components causing the inversion walk and flicker but either the connection cable or monitor and the cable is new.

Soldato
Start with the basics. Plug the monitor into another device such as a PC, laptop, DVD Player, Blu ray, Chromecast, Firestick, sky etc.

Try another cable.

It will be so much quicker to determine whether the fault is with the PC, cable or monitor.

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom