Fx8350 for an Ark and Plex server?

Associate
Hi guys, first of all I have no idea what I'm doing! Now that confession is out of the way, I currently have a
fx8350
8gb of 1333hz RAM
Gigabyte UD5 motherboard
R9 290
120gb SSD
500gb HDD
675w PSU

Soon I will building a Ryzen 1600 and reusing the r9 290. With my exsisting fx8350 and motherboard I'm thinking about reusing it and use it as a server for Plex (never even used Plex but I like the idea) and possibly an Ark server for myself and a few friends that casually play. For a start I havnt got a clue what I'm doing in order to set it up, but I'll watch some videos and I'm confident In my ability to learn and do that, my issue is in the hardware it's self, I know the fx8350 is crap, but along with the 1333hz 8gb RAM how will it do as an Ark server? Am I right in saying the games performance will depend on the users PC's and not the server it's running off? Plex I'm sure it will handle without an issue.

Thanks for reading

Xez

Xez

Associate
It will handle Plex with ease! As for Ark I can't comment but I would imagine it will handle it with ease as well unless you plan on having 32+ players and the game is very physics heavy.

Soldato
Should run the Ark server fine, but as above not if there are quite a lot of players. As you've mentioned, the performance of the game is mostly dependent on the end users PC. The server only crunches the numbers as to who's doing what and where, etc.

I run an Empyrion server on a Q6600 machine with 8GB RAM, for a couple of friends and myself. The game itself is more demanding with recent updates than it used to be. I've seen it go up to 7GB in RAM when playing for total usage. The server client in comparison running on the Q6600 machine, doesn't go above 3GB from what I've seen and the CPU is rarely taxed. Maybe it would use more resources with more players and more open fields of play. The biggest problem could be the internet. If you've got fibre, then that shouldn't pose a problem. If you're got less than 1Mb upstream like I have, 2-3 players on the server will likely introduce some lag. For me, that occurs mostly when players are flying around.

Back
Top Bottom