• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G sync question

Soldato
Hi

Was playing metro at 4k getting between 40-70fps it wasn't smooth at all, isn't g sync meant to kick in when this happens?

I did check in the nvidia control panel it looked switched onto me.

Am i missing something?

Associate
Check your monitor's OSD for the actual hz it's running at at any given moment. It should be matching your FPS.
With Metro Exodus then once or twice my monitor was just running at its maximum refresh rate despite the game being 70 fps or so, so GSync hadn't been activated. IIRC I alt-tabbed or restarted the game, and it was running properly again. Might just be a hit and miss thing for now that will be patched eventually.

Associate
With a 2080 maxed out on metro I'm roughly in the same ballpark at my res with g sync as far as I'm aware gsync smoothes out the judder but isn't a complete fix for varying degrees of fps .. It's gererally lovely at 40fps until you turn to a better forming area at say 70fps then turn back to the 40fps area, it's certainly perceptably slower but not any less smooth of that makes sense... G syncs amazing, but it ain't magic

Associate
All Gysnc does is sync monitors refresh rate to your GPUs fps output.

If a GPU is struggling with a game then it wont magically faster.

All it does is remove the screen tearing.

I have to disagree. Borderless full screen with the Windows in built anti-tearing/VSync/buffering etc also eliminates screen tearing at sub-max refresh rates, but I for one notice GSync appears a lot smoother than that. Any fps much less than max refresh rate (100 hz in my case) looks noticeably less smooth with GSync off, even at what should be acceptably high frame rates like 70 fps+

Back
Top Bottom