Gah! Must vent my first world problem!

Man of Honour
For many years I've been using a very old basic Logitech keyboard. White keys, black labels on them. An obvious way to make things clearly visible, so obvious that it's been used for about as long as there have been keyboards. Lovely key action and little noise. Just the job. I've had it so long that most of the keys had gone a bit grey and some had gone a bit yellow as the plastic aged and it still worked as well as the day I bought it.

Last night I spilt some beer on it. I stripped it down, cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol, dried it and reassembled it, but no go. So I had to go into town today to buy a new keyboard because I needed one right away. A very limited choice since keyboards are no longer a common item, but Wilko had a choice of 2 keyboards - a cutdown undersized one clearly intended to bluetooth to a phone or suchlike and a full size keyboard. So I bought the full size keyboard and hoped it would do. £20, so I wasn't expecting top kit but I was hoping it would do well enough.

And it does. It's quiet and it has all the keys and it's the appropriate size and the key action is adequate considering that I am not a professional level typist. So what is my terrible first world problem?

The whole thing is backlit with a variety of colours in a sort of crude rainbow effect. 4 columns of green, 3 of yellow, 4 of red, 3 of purple, 4 of blue. The manufacturer even cites this as a selling point! Who the hell thinks that's a selling point?

So I hopefully assumed that was the default and it was possible to change it. Of course it isn't - why would anyone want to do away with that wonderful selling point of an ugly, clashing crude rainbow? Only people who hate LGBTabcdefgetc, obviously!111!! Only the scum of the Earth!

Oh, you can turn the backlighting off...and have black keys labelled in very dark grey so the labelling is invisible except under direct very bright lighting.

Bloody hell!

Back
Top Bottom