Gains. Why have you forsaken me!

Man of Honour
OP
Did some hellish Alex Dowsett workout (40/20, TT Tips #6) and got the timing/intensity wrong, (300W on @ 40s...). Managed 2 sets (8 reps) and got halfway through the third before the aborted rocket launch...

And then today, it was deadlifts.

DEADLIFT @ 140*3
DBSS @ 20*12
ROW @ 20*12/10

Man of Honour
OP
FRONT SQUAT @ 100*3 (2), then 90*3 (3)
RDL @ 90*10 (3)
CHINUP @ 8*8 (3)

Front squats at 100kg were relatively clean once out the hole, but took a fair amount of garbage to get to that point. So dialled it back. And then my back and core was done by the time the RDLs came along. :D

Associate
That’s some nice front squatting! You’re training for cycling you mentioned before. What kind of cycling? Short distance I’m guessing from the explosive sets or is that helpful at any distance?

Man of Honour
OP
That’s some nice front squatting! You’re training for cycling you mentioned before. What kind of cycling? Short distance I’m guessing from the explosive sets or is that helpful at any distance?

Heh - thanks. My record is 140kg for a single, but that's when I was (relatively) strong. As to distance, I am basically a "full throttle to 20 miles" person: poor as a classic cyclist, but I play to what I think are my strengths.

Regarding the actual training, literature says "strength training is important for cyclists," but essentially 70-80% 1RM is optimal... The front squats yesterday were probably 90% (too high) which is why cycling intervals today felt like a drag.

Front squats because quads, but no press work because my shoulder is still healing (tendinitis). I am basically doing big primary lifts for strength (deads and squats) with accessory lifts in the hypertrophy range (stronger muscles are more efficient, but I don't really do enough sprinting on my bike to properly realise the transfer of gains), but I also find that I progress better when cycling a few weeks of 8-10 reps (please not for front squats!) with the same of 3-5 reps... But we shall see how that pans out.!

Man of Honour
OP
Yup... 90% front squatting, followed by some SST (short) has not done anything at all for my cycling. Quads look awesome, however...

Over-unders (2mins @105%/95%) and I had to pause after the third rep, and died after the second rep of the second set.

Man of Honour
OP
Spent 55 minutes at around 180W on RGT... as a system it seems a lot more like a cycling simulator compared to Zwift, but just doesnt have the flexible training options which make the latter more useful for me...

And I cant justify two subscriptions - one to RGT and another to TrainerRoad...

Man of Honour
OP
Ooooh... Did some Tabata intervals on the bike two days ago and they were gross. Will have to do them again at some point.

Today was deadlifts...

DEADLIFT @ 125kg * 3 (5)
DBSS @ 40kg * 5 (3)
SAR ss/w OHP @ 25kg * 12 / 22.5kg * 10

Still very happy my shoulder is behaving and not hurting at all after two months off (or is it three?) and a lot of rehab. Tendinitis can do one.

Man of Honour
OP
A very quick overview of training so far, just so I don't forget...

MONDAY:
- DEADLIFT (3*3) @ 120kg

FRIDAY:
- FRONT SQUAT (2*3+2) 85kg

BENCH @ 65*8
OHP @ 50*6
SAR @ 28*12
CHINS @ 6*8

Legs are getting stronger, but arms are getting weaker... But I think FTPz are increasing nicely, despite the TT Tune-Up regime on Zwift starting to drag. I think 6 weeks is my routine limit!

Man of Honour
OP
So...

PUSH PRESS @ 3*82.5
BENCH @ 82.5*3+1+1
DEADLIFT @ 130*3
OHP @ 42.5*12
SAR @ 40*8+6
SQUAT @ 100*6

Just to keep track so I don't forget. Training is a bit random at the moment, but the weights are going up...

Man of Honour
OP
DEADLIFT @ 135*3 this evening, with some weighted DBSS as a finisher.

Still trying to work out in my head if I want to go hard at cycling again or submit to the embrace of pain that is strength...

Back
Top Bottom