galaxy Watch 5

Associate
a bit of friendly advice for those thinking about getting a galaxy watch 5 if you have tattoos on your arm near the bottom it will not function properly went to samsung in newcastle and the technician asked me if I've got any tattoos and when I said yes he said that's the reason it will not function right when he put it on is arm it work any way I have sent it back

Associate
OP
Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old post ... but as you are aware, samsung has the latest version galaxy watch 6 pro
anyway spoke to samsung at great length today and they told me that I would be in the same position as before in that it would not work with my tattoos.
I'm one of them guys who likes the same bands to match I have all samsung phone, tablet and watch 3
so to my question please can you suggest any other manufacturer that would do all three ie: phone, tablet and watch
thank you very much for your time and suggestions

Soldato
Soldato
Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old post ... but as you are aware, samsung has the latest version galaxy watch 6 pro
anyway spoke to samsung at great length today and they told me that I would be in the same position as before in that it would not work with my tattoos.
I'm one of them guys who likes the same bands to match I have all samsung phone, tablet and watch 3
so to my question please can you suggest any other manufacturer that would do all three ie: phone, tablet and watch
thank you very much for your time and suggestions
The Apple watch etc won't work either with tattoo's. Best HR monitors in a watch are probably Garmin's, so might be worth trying one of those. Alternative is Pixel as well with the Pixel watch, again a quick Google shows they might have issues.

Caporegime
The Apple watch etc won't work either with tattoo's. Best HR monitors in a watch are probably Garmin's, so might be worth trying one of those. Alternative is Pixel as well with the Pixel watch, again a quick Google shows they might have issues.
they all use leds to look at your blood flow and some algorithm to work out the heart beat from that.
the spo02 sensor on them will be the same

just get a tiny bit of the tattoo removed where the watch sits :p even hair can be a problem for them.

personally I went with a Hawei GT4, but as above it uses leds to monitor vitals

APPLE have the best sensors Quantified Scientist on youtube reviews the accuracy of them all
the new garmin has more LEDS though so maybe its better with tattoos?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
**** off got my galaxy 6 watch have spent all afternoon trying to get in to work... it's like I said in previous posts on here... the ****** will not function properly if you have tattoos samsung said you will have on problems? I even did what they said and turned off this setting (so samsung know about tattoos)

Soldato
I'm not sure why you're buying the new watch and expecting a different outcome, the new watches use the same method of collecting heart rate data which is measuring the amount of light that is reflected back to the sensor. Your tattoos will be hampering the ability of this method.

Now - your solution(s) depend on what you're trying to achieve:
  • If you're only interested in getting the watch to know that is is being worn so that it mutes notifications on your phone (for example), you might need to see if a smart ring (like the Oura ring) has that ability.
  • If you're wanting to track heart rate during workouts, smart rings aren't known to be the best for this - you could look at a heart rate strap around your chest or there are probably headphones that take your heart rate from your ear. I used to have some Sony earphones that did this
Are both your arms at the wrist tattooed? Could try wearing it on the other wrist, although it's a pain accessing the buttons if you wear it on the right arm.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm not sure why you're buying the new watch and expecting a different outcome, the new watches use the same method of collecting heart rate data which is measuring the amount of light that is reflected back to the sensor. Your tattoos will be hampering the ability of this method.

Now - your solution(s) depend on what you're trying to achieve:
  • If you're only interested in getting the watch to know that is is being worn so that it mutes notifications on your phone (for example), you might need to see if a smart ring (like the Oura ring) has that ability.
  • If you're wanting to track heart rate during workouts, smart rings aren't known to be the best for this - you could look at a heart rate strap around your chest or there are probably headphones that take your heart rate from your ear. I used to have some Sony earphones that did this
Are both your arms at the wrist tattooed? Could try wearing it on the other wrist, although it's a pain accessing the buttons if you wear it on the right arm.
Thanks very much for your reply and information. Much appreciated in a nutshell. Samsung are aware of the problems with tattoos because they've got a function on the new watch 6 that you turn off they looked at my tattoos though Video link and said that they are dark and that's it will not function?... my tattoos are 50 years old not new

Caporegime
Thanks very much for your reply and information. Much appreciated in a nutshell. Samsung are aware of the problems with tattoos because they've got a function on the new watch 6 that you turn off they looked at my tattoos though Video link and said that they are dark and that's it will not function?... my tattoos are 50 years old not new
just get your wrist area zapped away.

skip to 4:20
Like that guy says lazers are racist just like LEDs

what if you don't have a tattoo and your just black

Last edited:
Associate
OP
just get your wrist area zapped away.

skip to 4:20
Like that guy says lazers are racist just like LEDs

what if you don't have a tattoo and your just black
mate I just give up I have a galaxy S3 frontier I bought it from new(still got it) and I were the S3 with no problems at all functions work as they should including health morning so mate I just give up and took it back

Back
Top Bottom