Game Boy Color AMOLED build

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I've had the IPS screen to fit to a GBC for a while now, but never got round to it - then recently there was a new wave of AMOLED screens for them... so why not

I didn't take many photos whilst doing this, only of testing the screen

15T3dF6l.jpg

Then the completed Game Boy. New shell, screen, stickers and speaker. I gave the original membranes, buttons and dpads a deep clean and re-used them as the 3rd party ones are a bit.. off.

6VFH4sWl.jpg

ZEt2VAhl.jpg

U37V3m0l.jpg

and some comparisons to a stock GBC, and the donor shell

2T91UUtl.jpg

mBizTjQl.jpg

and a link to bigger versions of the same images.

I'm pleased with the result, I'll still build the IPS one using the other GBC tho.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
The reason for using the original buttons (d-pad in particular) was that the ones that come with the shell / screen from hispeedio aren't quite right. The D-Pad has a pivot on the back and it's too small on those, meaning the pad sits too low in the shell. I do have some from FunnyPlaying as well, so I compared those with the hispeedio ones and the OE ones.

hispeedio - 2.1mm pivot
FunnyPlaying - 2.3mm pivot
Nintendo - 2.3mm pivot

Based on that, I took it all apart again and removed the OE ones

Q7iLpUNl.jpeg

and put the FunnyPlaying ones in

FiDsr4Rl.jpeg

Much better, and in profile they're right too

wGBPy2el.jpeg

They feel like the OE buttons, but I did retain the OE membranes for the D-Pad and A&B buttons.

Man of Honour
Looks great! I really want to get into modding some of the Nintendo Handhelds; I never really had a Gameboy growing up so I'd love to go back and pickup some of the GB/GBC/GBA classics but the idea of modding original hardware appeals as well!

Back
Top Bottom