Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Soldato
Logitech gsp370 headphones (Only used for VR gaming)

Sony WH1000XM3 headphones (used for work)

Soundblaster soundcard (connects everything)

Audio Pro T8 studio monitors and 8 inch Audio Pro sub (for pc gaming and music)

Sonos Playbar, Sonos Sub and 2x Sonos Play Ones (for TV gaming and music)

Last edited:
Associate
Corsair void pro headphones for gaming, soundblaster katana for gaming without headphones and normally listen to music through my Marantz NR1509. I also have a redundant Soundblaster Z installed.

maj

maj

Soldato
I see the Atom mentioned a lot on forums. Must be good! How do you find the Presonus speakers? My PC is in a medium sized room, but is positioned to one side, near the adjacent wall. So I don't think it would be worth my while investing in another amp and passive speakers. For my situation, smaller powered speakers seem a more sensible choice.

The Atom is a bargain for the price. Subjective viewpoint but I prefer it to the Magni 3 I had before it. The Magni is metal compared to the plastic of the Atom so it wins in aesthetics but otherwise the Atom is the winner for me personally.

For how often I use the Presonus they do the job perfectly and sound fairly neutral without them interfering with bass etc too much. Depending on what passive speakers you have these might not be much smaller. The 4.5's are a decent size. They also do smaller models but I managed to get the 4.5s second hand for a decent price. They have controls on the back for if they are placed close to a wall.

Soldato
OP
If you have any experience with a soldering iron and even basic electronics knowledge it is actually really easy to get into https://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/ and very hard to master.
Cheers, I'll look into that.

I probably shouldn't own up to this here but I have taken delivery of the Sony PlayStation Platinum Wireless headset in the last few days. It's a total leftfield purchase but I wanted to hear the 3D audio from the (few) Sony supported games and therefore as I had a few vouchers decided to go for them. They aren't overly comfortable, tend to be lacking in comparison to the K361s but the 3D audio on Horizon Zero Dawn is pretty impressive. It's a fantastic game for audio anyway but to hear depth and height in the sound is something else. I am also pretty impressed with the VSS surround on non-3D audio games. Also very convenient when gaming on the PS4.
I'm genuinely interested in seeing how audio on the PS5 works out, after them hyping it. It's definitely an area that could use some love.

For how often I use the Presonus they do the job perfectly and sound fairly neutral without them interfering with bass etc too much. Depending on what passive speakers you have these might not be much smaller. The 4.5's are a decent size. They also do smaller models but I managed to get the 4.5s second hand for a decent price. They have controls on the back for if they are placed close to a wall.
Good info, thanks!

Ree

Ree

Associate
what would some of you guys recommend for about £150 headset wise used only for gaming. been seeing the akg 702 mentioned a lot on here but dunno if i'd need to get a amp to run them as i only have onboard. should mention am no audiophile.

Associate
what would some of you guys recommend for about £150 headset wise used only for gaming. been seeing the akg 702 mentioned a lot on here but dunno if i'd need to get a amp to run them as i only have onboard. should mention am no audiophile.

Only for gaming, don't know. Never used a headset myself, ever. The K702 will run plenty fine from your 3.5m on the motherboard. if it's the same as mine power wise. I have a GA-H110M-S2H, so budget level anyway.

I just tested this as normally i go through a surround decoder. With Windows Sonic enabled (windows 10), the results in game (Stalker) are quite impressive still. Though bass lacks somewhat, and the dt990 performs better there, but with less soundstage. And in music, dt990 sounds a whole lot better.

Stalker not the most ideal game to demo, but it was what i was just playing :p

But if getting a dedicated soundcard or amp too, then both will still perform better, in game and out.

Hope that helps.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Only for gaming, don't know. Never used a headset myself, ever. The K702 will run plenty fine from your 3.5m on the motherboard. if it's the same as mine power wise. I have a GA-H110M-S2H, so budget level anyway.

I just tested this as normally i go through a surround decoder. With Windows Sonic enabled (windows 10), the results in game (Stalker) are quite impressive still. Though bass lacks somewhat, and the dt990 performs better there, but with less soundstage. And in music, dt990 sounds a whole lot better.

Stalker not the most ideal game to demo, but it was what i was just playing :p

But if getting a dedicated soundcard or amp too, then both will still perform better, in game and out.

Hope that helps.

thanks for trying that and replying. was checking out the beyers too and the only thing putting me off the 702 is that headband since am a skinhead :) decisions, decisions.

fiio e10k amp be good enough for either?

Soldato
thanks for trying that and replying. was checking out the beyers too and the only thing putting me off the 702 is that headband since am a skinhead :) decisions, decisions.

fiio e10k amp be good enough for either?

not skinhead, but recently done number 2 all over for summer and no access to barbers, but K712 which I have band still feels great on the head. Personal preference though as some people add padding, but I find the band on current versions are great.

Soldato
I'm bald as a coot and the K702 wears fine, no discomfort at all - the older version of the K702, plus the Q701 and the K701 used to have what became known as "torture bumps" but the current K702 has a smooth headband

Soldato
Schiit Bifrost -> Schiit Asgard 2 -> HD650
Or
Schiit Bifrost -> Yamaha AS500 -> Wharfedale 9.1 + SW150

I have an Asus Essence STX in a box, used to use it for gaming but couldn’t be bothered to switch between stuff, wasn’t worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Associate
not skinhead, but recently done number 2 all over for summer and no access to barbers, but K712 which I have band still feels great on the head.

The K712 Pro does have a softer headband though, with a soft undercoating on the leather. Where as the K702 has a thicker headband which is much stiffer. That said I agree with this sentiment and I personally find both to be pretty comfortable. Just the K712 Pro is slightly better in this regard.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how audio on the PS5 works out, after them hyping it. It's definitely an area that could use some love.

Definitely, said this is a couple of the other threads. The fact that Cerney talked about Tempest working with existing headphones and soundbars is very encouraging.

However there are some caveats. Currently both the PS4 and Xbox One lock out audio standards. For example the Xbox One can only output 5.1 via Optical out and cannot support audio equipment over USB (mics, headphones) unless it's licenced stuff like the Plantronics or Astro Mixamp. And the optical port is being removed on Xbox Series X. The PS4 can support driverless DACs, AMPs and Mics over USB but won't output surround unless they are official headsets. And their 3D audio (similar to Dolby Atmos) will only work on their Platinum headset.

So if MS and Sony are still greedy with licensing then it might not be much better for audio options on console next-gen. Time will tell. However Tempest is probably much more likely to be supported than either Dolby Atmos/DTS on Xbox One or Sony's 3D audio option for PS4.

Soldato
The K712 Pro does have a softer headband though, with a soft undercoating on the leather. Where as the K702 has a thicker headband which is much stiffer. That said I agree with this sentiment and I personally find both to be pretty comfortable. Just the K712 Pro is slightly better in this regard.

Definitely, said this is a couple of the other threads. The fact that Cerney talked about Tempest working with existing headphones and soundbars is very encouraging.

However there are some caveats. Currently both the PS4 and Xbox One lock out audio standards. For example the Xbox One can only output 5.1 via Optical out and cannot support audio equipment over USB (mics, headphones) unless it's licenced stuff like the Plantronics or Astro Mixamp. And the optical port is being removed on Xbox Series X. The PS4 can support driverless DACs, AMPs and Mics over USB but won't output surround unless they are official headsets. And their 3D audio (similar to Dolby Atmos) will only work on their Platinum headset.

So if MS and Sony are still greedy with licensing then it might not be much better for audio options on console next-gen. Time will tell. However Tempest is probably much more likely to be supported than either Dolby Atmos/DTS on Xbox One or Sony's 3D audio option for PS4.

ahhh fair enough. Did have 702s only 712s on hand now when shaved head. Did not notice a difference tbh between the two though had long hair then, likely there as you mention but doubt it will make a material difference to comfort.

Associate
ahhh fair enough. Did have 702s only 712s on hand now when shaved head. Did not notice a difference tbh between the two though had long hair then, likely there as you mention but doubt it will make a material difference to comfort.

Yea, it was just a minor point, I think in principle the AKG K7xx series are pretty comfortable (without the headband bumps). You see people often mention the Q701 or K701 bumps on the headband, but the softer, more pliable (and slightly different shaped) leather headband on the K712 Pro doesn't get mentioned much. For me there was an ever slight difference because I found myself having to bend the K702 headband ever so slightly but never once needed to do that on the K712.

Back
Top Bottom