GamersNexus Arctic Freezer II 280 review

Soldato
I was using a Corsair 120 AIO. It did a good job to be fair. Used to idle at around 35-40 and would max out around 70-75 if stressed.

the 360 I have is prob complete overkill but it’s good that it never breaks a sweat.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I have the 360 version of this and its doing a mighty fine job of cooling my 9900k, seems a well put together piece of kit and very quiet to.

Associate
Recently purchased the artic freezer esports (air cooler) and I’m hitting 77c on bannerlord while streaming.

little disappointed to be honest, only cooling a 3600 @4.2 so nothing major.

I am using the included thermals that came in the box, I do have some noctua NH-1/Mx-4 2019/some cooler master stuff laying around, wondering if this is the problem.

Anyway to the point, I’m very interesting in this AIO setup, gonna keep my eye on the reliability of the unit as my esports is 10 years warranty.

Got to admit I’m excited to go AIO, and this is the first unit I’ve been realistically interested in due to price/performance, saw it on GN and it has really peaked my interest.

little side note I’m hoping to upgrade my cpu once 4000 hits along with some faster ram, so am a little worried on my temps moving forward.

Soldato
Recently purchased the artic freezer esports (air cooler) and I’m hitting 77c on bannerlord while streaming
Suprised it's running that hot, I'm using a wraith prism on my r5 3600 4.2 all core OC @1.325v and even spamming cinebench it never goes over 67c.

Would reseat your cooler just to make sure it has good contact.

Soldato
Like the look of that cooler, I just have an air cooler at the moment, not sure if it's worth the money moving to such an AIO for a 3700X considering It can't overclock.
Your CPU will boost higher and hold the boosted speeds longer the better the cooling you have, so it depends on what air cooler you have and what temperatures you are getting. With a low TDP chip like the 3700X the performance difference is unlikely to be huge but to some people getting the most performance possible out of their system is worth the money. Again depending on your existing cooler this cooler may end up being quieter.

Soldato
Your CPU will boost higher and hold the boosted speeds longer the better the cooling you have, so it depends on what air cooler you have and what temperatures you are getting. With a low TDP chip like the 3700X the performance difference is unlikely to be huge but to some people getting the most performance possible out of their system is worth the money. Again depending on your existing cooler this cooler may end up being quieter.

I have a Evo 212 cooler.

Soldato
I have a Evo 212 cooler.
In which case I would suggest the upgrade. From what I can see the Evo 212 has direct contact heatpipes which are not ideal for a 3700X due to the main heat source being off Centre. In my opinion you would be better off with a cooler that has a base plate to more effectively dissipate the heat either this one (Freezer II) or a different air cooler, most of the best performing top end ones have a base plate rather than direct contact.

Soldato
In which case I would suggest the upgrade. From what I can see the Evo 212 has direct contact heatpipes which are not ideal for a 3700X due to the main heat source being off Centre. In my opinion you would be better off with a cooler that has a base plate to more effectively dissipate the heat either this one (Freezer II) or a different air cooler, most of the best performing top end ones have a base plate rather than direct contact.

Might invest in this cooler in that case, there is a 240 version what's the difference?

Edit, I get it now, the radiator size.

There is a 360 , how much more effective than the 280 would that be given the extra fan

Last edited:
Soldato
Might invest in this cooler in that case, there is a 240 version what's the difference?

Edit, I get it now, the radiator size.

There is a 360 , how much more effective than the 280 would that be given the extra fan

There won't be a massive difference between the 280/360 rad temperature wise maybe one or two degrees but you can run the 360 rad fans at a lower rpm so less noise and still maintain good temps.

My 360 temps don't go above 68c with my 9900k @4.8ghz all cores.

Soldato
I've held off buying this, I'm hitting around 88 max with my 3700x in Cinebench, but games I've never really seen it above 77 which I'm totally fine with, core clocks usually jumping between 4GHz and 4.3, the performance difference I don't think I'd actuall notice in games. I think I'll leave the AIO until maybe the next AMD cpu's and if they NEED AIO, or if they have overclocking potential then it'll make it worth it.

Back
Top Bottom