• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Games Crashing - AMD RX590

Associate
Hey Guys,

I've recently upgraded to an AMD RX590 from an RX480. Not a massive upgrade, but I got a good deal - it's a brand new card.

However, I'm having a big problem with BSODs and applications crashing to desktop. The BSOD messages seem to vary, the last one was irql_not_less_or_equal - see attached for the latest memory dump analysis using whocrashed

3YWMjx5.png

Background
I did a full clean install of Windows and it's fully up-to-date, but I crash when playing Battlefield 1 or Battlefield 5. I'll typically last 20 to 30 minutes before a crash, however I have gone an hour or two without a crash. Other games such as Outer Worlds, Cities Skylines and Company of Heroes 2 never crash, so I'm starting to suspect that either origin is a problem, or that these games are more demanding and are tipping my system over the edge. That being said, I *never* crashed when using the old card, however I definitely had a slightly older version of Windows 10 previously. I can play BF1 and V on ultra settings with a solid 60 fps easily (I've tried limiting to monitor refresh rate and no limit). I'm not using DX12. My CPU usage can hit 100% and it usually causes issues with Discord too.
  • I've run memtest and sfc /scannow and they show no issues.
  • I've got the latest AMD drivers installed.
  • I've run furmark for 30 minutes and it doesn't crash or overheat.
  • I've run prime95 for 30 minutes and nothing bad happens.
  • Nothing is overclocked.
  • I've got a 600w BeQuiet PSU.
I don't think the card itself is faulty, but is there anything else I can try to resolve this? I'm really running out of ideas!

I am going to borrow a friends GFX card to see what happens - unfortunately I sold my old card already. I will get that in a few days probably, but I just wonder if there was anything I could try in the meantime.

My set up is attached (the GPU temp is high as I am running furmark).

1V9iojd.png

I am going to be looking at upgrading my mobo and CPU next year, as I think the CPU is a bottleneck right now, but surely that shouldn't be causing BSOD.

Last edited:
Soldato
What happens if you run Unigine Superposition or 3D Mark?

I wouldn't put much trust in Furmark. I'm pretty sure the drivers known that Furmark is running so it limits the max state that the card is running it (e.g. it's not running in state 7 where the max clocks and voltage is observed).

See if you experience the crashes with those synthetic benchmarks.

Soldato
You could also run Display Driver Uninstaller.

1. Download it and latest Radeon drivers
2. Disconnect your PC from the internet
3. Reboot into safe mode
4. Run Displayer Driver Uninstaller
5. Reboot
6. Install Radeon Drivers
7. Reboot
8. Connect PC back to Internet

Associate
OP
What happens if you run Unigine Superposition or 3D Mark?

I wouldn't put much trust in Furmark. I'm pretty sure the drivers known that Furmark is running so it limits the max state that the card is running it (e.g. it's not running in state 7 where the max clocks and voltage is observed).

See if you experience the crashes with those synthetic benchmarks.

Ok I'll try that.

Tbh I'm a bit out of the loop with all this stuff, and it was always Furmark back in the day...

Regarding the point of uninstall the display drivers, yep, I used DDU (booted in Safe Mode etc) and still no luck.

Having said all that, I've just played about 3 hrs of BF1 and it didn't CTD.

Thanks for the replies.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure it's the games, it happens to me too with a V64. I don't generally play them but when I did I could be 100% sure I would crash at some point in BF V/I or SW:BF II. And not just a mild crash, but full on blue screen of death type, needing a hard restart. Dialing back the CPU OC kinda helps, maybe, but it still happened. Whether I OC, stock or UV the GPU, also happens more or less the same. Capping the framerate below the max your system can do helps delay it a bit, but it can still happen. I played with DX12 though. Hasn't happened with other Frostbite engine games though, so maybe it's a issue with mobo/ram/cpu & cooling, who knows, because Battlefield/front games are such resource intensive hogs in MP.

If it's not a problem otherwise I wouldn't sweat it.

Associate
Been a long time since i posted here !

Came across this post today while passing time at work.

I recently got a new rig. R5 2600X & RX590 fatboy

I had exactly the same issues as you describe above op. it would appear pretty random but extended gaming sessions on rust/Fallout/Destiny 2 and more resulted in bluescreens or sometimes my monitor would just sleep as the graphics card stopped putting out a signal. I could still hear the game in the background.

Some googling led me to altering the WATTMAN Setting in the amd control panel. Change your fan speed curve. I had to disable the silent fan option and have the fans spin slightly faster tho not much.

I also followed an article i cant link right now that explained how to undervolt the card to draw less juice yet still manage a small overclock. weird i know but it worked.

never had a crash since and max temp on the card after a tough session is 79 which i can live with. ( it was previously hitting 80-90+ )

also side note but there is a physical switch on the graphics card right next to the power plugs. make sure the switch is slid backwards towards the rear of the graphics card.
i believe this switch enables a silent mode on the card which unless you have amazing cooling you really don't want enabled.

I hope this helps :)

Soldato
I hope the upgrade was nigh on free.
The only difference between a 480 and 590 is the clocks isn't it?
They're the same GPU, but the 590 is a die shrink to 12nm (from 14nm on the 480/580) and reaches clock speeds that the 480 will never be able to match (without exotic cooling anyway). They should be around 15% faster than a 480 out of the box. That does come at the cost of significantly more power consumption though, despite the die shrink. Polaris was never designed to hit those kind of clocks.

Associate
OP
Been a long time since i posted here !

Came across this post today while passing time at work.

I recently got a new rig. R5 2600X & RX590 fatboy

I had exactly the same issues as you describe above op. it would appear pretty random but extended gaming sessions on rust/Fallout/Destiny 2 and more resulted in bluescreens or sometimes my monitor would just sleep as the graphics card stopped putting out a signal. I could still hear the game in the background.

Some googling led me to altering the WATTMAN Setting in the amd control panel. Change your fan speed curve. I had to disable the silent fan option and have the fans spin slightly faster tho not much.

I also followed an article i cant link right now that explained how to undervolt the card to draw less juice yet still manage a small overclock. weird i know but it worked.

never had a crash since and max temp on the card after a tough session is 79 which i can live with. ( it was previously hitting 80-90+ )

also side note but there is a physical switch on the graphics card right next to the power plugs. make sure the switch is slid backwards towards the rear of the graphics card.
i believe this switch enables a silent mode on the card which unless you have amazing cooling you really don't want enabled.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks! I did have a look at the WATTMAN stuff, but I was scared of bricking the card.

In the end, I actually changed my power settings and turned "Link State Power Management" off. Turns out since the fresh install of Windows my power settings were defaulted to balanced. Now, I'm not certain that something so trivial could result in a BSOD, but I haven't had a single crash since.

Back
Top Bottom