Gaming Headphones/Headset

Associate
I'm looking at upgrading my headset which is currently an older Logitech model, which I'm not sure of the name and was about £50 at the time of buying.

It has been a nice headset, but the sound quality for gaming is kind of lacking. The mic seems ok, but again could be better.

I've never had a decent headset so looking to get something a lot nicer, with much better sound quality. It will be 99% for gaming, I have a nice set of studio monitors for anything else.

I don't mind if it's a headset with a mic attached, or just a headset that I'll need to get a mic for.

Budget is £300

What are you planning on plugging them into?

- Beyerdynamic DT990: Excellent open back headphones, great bass given that fact and a lot of fun. Some people don't get on with the treble, I've never had a problem with it and you can EQ a little if necessary.
- Beyerdynamic DT770: Closed back so there's less sound leakage, good bass but not quite as good of a sound stage if you're planning on using virtual surround.
- Philips Fidelio X2HR: Open back, excellent soundstage and good bass, although not on the level of the two Beyer models.
- Hifiman HE400SE: Open back, entry level planar magnetic headphones with good soundstage and accurate if not quite as punchy bass compared to the Beyers.

The above can be had for around £80-120 depending, but they will require an AMP to get the most out of which will set you back another £100 or so depending. If you already have an AMP that you can use you could consider spending more, the Hifiman Sundara are a good step up from the 400SE for example at around the £220 mark.

Some of the Sennheiser's mentioned are well worth a look too.

As long as space isn't an issue I'd just get a desktop MIC, I sit around a foot away from a £20 Trust Gaming GXT 258 Fyru and have zero issues with voice comms.
Either directly into my PC, or i have a focusrite 4i4 interface which i could use.

I'll have a look into your recommendations, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom