Gaming keyboard for small hands

Soldato
You looking for mechanical or standard rubber dome switch keyboard?
Not that mechanical keyboards differ in size from standard keyboard...
Key caps are just always full height ones, unlike lower profile ones in many rubber dome keyboards.

OcUK Staff
Associate
OP
I think I’m after mechanical switches. I currently use a Corsair strafe non rgb. I just feel I can’t reach the number 1 and 2 keys very well do u actually think I could benefit from buying a different keyboard and be able to reach those numbers easier.

Associate
I think I’m after mechanical switches. I currently use a Corsair strafe non rgb. I just feel I can’t reach the number 1 and 2 keys very well do u actually think I could benefit from buying a different keyboard and be able to reach those numbers easier.
I also feel the same about my corsair k75 but then i always think if i get rid I'll be downgrading and everything else i have is corsair RGB so i kinda just stick with it :/

Soldato
That's definitely mechanical keyboard.
Likely with MX Red or then Brown.
There's little resistance when you start pushing key down and needed force increases linearly the deeper you press key, right?
If there's little resistance in start but then higher force needing bump before key press is registered that's MX Brown...
Unless it has clear "clicking" sound no matter how softly you press key.
In which case it would be MX Retro alias Blue.

Cherry MX keyboards have standardized key caps so I don't think you'll find any difference between distance of keys.
Also Romer-G seems to use same size key caps.
Distance from lowest row to number row is pretty much same in Logitech G810 as in G710+, though F-key row is little bit closer.

Likely most keyboards use basically same key cap size/key spacing.
Maybe some laptop style scissor switch keyboards might have denser key spacing.
Though from comparing measurements that Cougar Vantar doesn't have any denser spacing/smaller key caps.

Soldato
How long have you used it for? When I first started PC gaming I swore some characters on the keyboard were completely impossible to seemlessly hit in the middle of a fast paced game but with practise and experience it gets a lot easier

Associate
OP
Yeah I’ve not been pc gaming too long only recently started playing fortnite as it’s gotten big and I wanted to play on pc rather than console as the build controls on pc seem so much better and playing it in 144hz ;). I just struggle to reach numbers 1 and 2 mainly there are weapons bound to these keys. I’m also kind of unsure which finger I should be using to reach up to these keys too? Maybe more practice is just needed.

Soldato
I just struggle to reach numbers 1 and 2 mainly there are weapons bound to these keys. I’m also kind of unsure which finger I should be using to reach up to these keys too? Maybe more practice is just needed.
Assuming usual WASD game keeping index finger resting on D using middle finger for 2 and ring finger for pressing 1 would be one way.
Or then just using index finger for both 1 and 2, while middle finger is till on W.
Or using middle finger for either 1 or 2.
Precisely position of keyboard related to you would affect which if these later works better.
With keyboards letter area centered directly in front of you hand's positioning gives better angle for ring finger to press also 2 than for middle finger to press also 1.
Myself being 175cm I'm not exactly that big.

Though if switches are MX Red with little resistance before actuation point avoiding accidental presses could be additional challenge.

Soldato
Yeah I’ve not been pc gaming too long only recently started playing fortnite as it’s gotten big and I wanted to play on pc rather than console as the build controls on pc seem so much better and playing it in 144hz ;). I just struggle to reach numbers 1 and 2 mainly there are weapons bound to these keys. I’m also kind of unsure which finger I should be using to reach up to these keys too? Maybe more practice is just needed.
I am not too proud to admit I have fairly piddly fingers too. I use fourth finger for 1 and middle for 2. Little bit of practice and you'll be hitting them lightning fast in no time. And when I say practice, I don't mean some boring button pressing trial thing, just play the games you enjoy

Soldato
All keyboards are same size except for TKL (no keypad but same size for the rest of it)

I think cherry MX speed have the shortest travel on them.

Back
Top Bottom