Gaming Modem/Router

Soldato
I'm with Zen internet DSL and following some issues, I was sent a new router to replace my old combo of a BT box (modem) and Asus Router.

They sent me a Fritz!Box 7530 which is working fine but I did notice the ping wasn't as good and I'm now on Moderate NAT Type. When the BT engineer was at the house he could see I liked gaming and said I really should think about getting a gaming router.

Any recommendations please for a Gaming modem/router and what are the benefits?

Soldato
There is no such thing as a ‘gaming router’. There are cheap routers and more expensive routers but this is one of those ‘if you have to ask’ a normal consumer router is what you need. It’s unlikely you’ll notice any benefit to the router you have been given to something from a third party, assuming it is working correctly.

Soldato
There is no such thing as a ‘gaming router’. There are cheap routers and more expensive routers but this is one of those ‘if you have to ask’ a normal consumer router is what you need. It’s unlikely you’ll notice any benefit to the router you have been given to something from a third party, assuming it is working correctly.

This is true. And then there are routers that are designed to appeal to teenagers with lurid colours and prioritise gaming in the mind of the consumer. They are marketed as gaming routers in the same way that a BF2142 t-shirt is a gaming t-shirt. It’s definitely a market. Some even do very basic QoS functionality where they prioritise packets on ports used by games. Fundamentally though, just like Killer network cards and anything labelled Fata1ity it doesn’t actually improve your gaming experience over a decent standard router. Indeed, one hardcore gamer we cabled up had a separate connection and the only thing plugged into that connection (direct onto the ISP) was his gaming rig. No firewall, no separate router, just a PPPoE connection from the PC to the FTTP network port on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom