Gaming Monitor, Need Help Deciding 16:9 or 21:9

Associate
Hi,

I have a Gigabyte M32U 4K monitor as my main monitor, it is 32 inch and has 144hz, IPS panel.

I want to buy an OLED Monitor for exclusive usage for consuming media and video games, all of my productivity work will be done on my M32U.

Now I never had an ultrawide monitor so I never tried it and I don’t know what to expect

I was torn between getting a normal 16:9 OLED monitor from the new offering such as Asus or Gigabyte 240hz OLED’s, or instead going for Ultrawide 21:9 for gaming as I already have a regular 4K monitor and feel I might enjoying the new resolution,

So what I’m trying to ask here is, if you were in my position which route will you go ?

Ultrawide OLED “specifically Model: AW3423DWF”

Or regular 16:9 4K OLED “ more specifically Asus PG32UCDM or Gigabyte FO32U2P”

I want to try ultrawide but I’m afraid it will not suit my taste and I will regret it, I also live in an area where second hand market is dead and most likely I wouldn’t be able to get rid of the monitor for a good price in case I don’t get used to it, we also do not have return policy where I live so what you buy is permanent.

On the other hand I feel ultrawide might be actually amazing and more suitable for gaming than regular resolution..

For what it is worth I have 7800X3D and Gigabyte 4090 so performance is not an issue here. And I usually play story driven games, I’m not a competitive player or 1st person shooter type of guy, I prefer RPG and triple A titles most

Thank you,

Man of Honour
Ultra-wide is quite marmite - I bought one back when they were introduced and had very mixed opinion - for a long time I ended up using a couple of different ultra-wides as a second monitor but these days just have a laptop there instead of the second monitor. Overall my personal opinion is 16:9 for the primary monitor (actually I prefer 16:10 but too much stuff is made with 16:9 in mind and I'm not a fan of black bars or cropping content).

Man of Honour
I went ultra-wide 2 weeks ago, and am not going back... The sheer amount of real estate you have to work on is the dealbreaker. 2 or 3 usable windows open on screen, no more Alt-Tabbing.

Back in the day I went with a 2048x1152 monitor for that reason for a long time, before 1920x1080 even was in use much and in more recent years used a 21:9 as a secondary display for programming, etc. for that reason, but personally didn't get on with it for gaming, a small number of games it was awesome but overall personally found the negatives offset that too much.

Last edited:
Associate
I am just in the process of going from 34 inch 21:9 qd-oled to 42 inch 16:9 woled and after 2 years with UW I say it is nice to be back with 16:9 - more screen vertically and generally more screen real estate compared to 34 inch UW. I am going to keep my 42 inch 4k TV as monitor until bigger 21:9 UW screens (38-40 inch) with higher resolution than 3440x1440 enter the market. It was a nice experience, but atm 34 inch is simply to small for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom