Gaming/Music Setup help needed!

Associate
Yes, yes another 'Spec Me' thread but I did make use of the search function and read through a lot of threads here before deciding to post!

Sound has been one of those things I've massively neglected on my PC, I've not had a seperate sound card since once upon time owning an Audigy 2 card, and this was to help out with Sound Processing on my then Barton 2500 & Nforce2 based PC. but anyways, I digress.

My primary purpose posting is to get a much better quality of sound out of my PC. I have Asus Maximus Formula and its apparently wonderful Supreme FX audio module, but paired with arather horrible set of labtec bargain basement headphones. Yuck I here you say!

The Spec I'm aiming for is:

1) Decent quality soundcard for use with gaming on a headset.

2) At some point in the future, I'd like to treat myself to a nice little Amp and Bookshelf speakers for music playback. I'm no audiophile by a country mile, but looking at something like a little Cambridge A1 setup.

3) My PC isn't used for Movies or DVD playback even, I have a seperate HTPC that later on I will spec up with a proper soundcard.

I'm not looking to spend hundreds and hundreds on my setup, just something thats going to give me good bang for buck and will accomodate my music output choice in the future.

Reading through the threads, the advice repeated over and ovr seems to be either Xonar + Goldring DR's or X-Fi + Senn 555s. I love the DR50s for being so cheap, and also see that the Xonar D1 / DX cards are also cheaper than the equivalent X-FI (Gamer card?).

So, would this setup suit me? Xonar & GoldRing DR50s (mebbe some DR150's later on?)

Associate
OP
PC is being rebuilt from scratch (Woo! What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon) and lo and behold....

3976373363_b47df2cfa5.jpg

I spy, what do we have here:

3977138272_7d2ae88db3.jpg

Mmmm, looking forward to blasting some music out of that later :D

Associate
OP
Uriel, if you ever stop by this thread by the way, I have to say the advice I've read of yours in the countless threads in Sound City have been invaluable in choosing my Audio quality :D

Associate
OP
I installed my DX too today, it's even kept me off FIFA 10 - just wanna listen to my entire music collection in improved quality. :p

Oooh ooh oooh damn you!

I'm half way through building the PC - the components are in, its just the two hour cabling job lol!

But need to take a break, need to wake and feed little one, have some daddy/daughter time then put her to bed at 7, then the build can continue.

Associate
OP
Ok, after a bit of a fine mess (2 dead hard drives!) I got my rig up and running.....

And this Xonar is the Biz!!

Even on these pair of god awful labtec headphones I have atm, the sound quality is so much better over the onboard sound its unbelievable!

Have not had the chance to run some games through it, but so looking forward to getting some Bioshock and Mass Effect action going over Dolby Headphone and the Goldring Dr50s :D

Associate
OP
3989031471_13f999ef56.jpg

AND:

3983733589_a98fe728ba.jpg

= WIN!

Music: Sound quality is superb. Beats sound full but not over the top, mid-range and high notes clear and defined. To be honest, this is possibly the best quality audio I've heard in my life.

Gaming: The quality so far in games is awesome. However, I've not tried anything with real Environmental or positional audio - I've been playing my latest MMO addiction 2moons far too much :D

For those on a minimal budget who want to game though, I couldn't recommend the above combination enough!

I will have to get some gaming going that has positional/environmental audio and report back more on this solution.

Associate
OP
I bought my DR50s for £15 inc free delivery tbh, couldn't find that £9.99 offer anywhere.

Still, there worth every penny and I'm really REALLY glad I bought them.

Associate
OP
can someone just clarify for me please, ive got a asus p5k deluxe board and have just bought the DX, I was under the impression it'd only work in the top little pci slot but am I now right in thinking it will work in ANY pci type slot on my mobo?

The DX is a PCI-Express card, and will work in any PCI-Express slot available, wether it be 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x physically wide.

Back
Top Bottom