Gaming PC - Advice needed!

Gee said:
Well later on in the year, I may be adding another GFX Card to my setup, so with it being a SLi board i'm ready if I want to add another.

That DVD Drive is a SATA Connection, "- Serial ATA Connection" as it says on the specification sheet.

SLI is pointless. Unless you plan on gaming on a 30inch screen its not worth the extra premium you pay for that second card.

Not enough games take advantage of a SLI configuration. It dosent offer as much benefits as most people think it will.

And whats wrong with the SATA drive? Its SATA yes thats why i picked it out. No more IDE cables.

Well from looking what people have said to choose as a MoBo, being the P5K Deluxe, it doesn't look like it will be able to fit such a big CPU Cooler as it has those pipes around the socket. Will it fit?

Gee said:
Well from looking what people have said to choose as a MoBo, being the P5K Deluxe, it doesn't look like it will be able to fit such a big CPU Cooler as it has those pipes around the socket. Will it fit?

You can either get one of them boards with the massive coolers around and then get a tower cooler like the Tuniq Tower:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-001-SB&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821

Or get a board like this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-088-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=913

and then get a cooler like this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-002-NC

This is the spec i would recommend on your budget:

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
Noctua NH-U12F (Socket LGA775/754/939/940/AM2) Heatsink
Gigabyte GA_P35_DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 5000AAKS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
Samsung SH-183LBEBN 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer Serial ATA Lightscribe
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 Soundcard - Retail
Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

Total : £1,137.82

Slightly cheaper and will perform exactly the same as your spec.

Last edited:
Stickroad has put forward some good arguments for not spending more than you need to. Implicit in his list is also the move from Quad core to Dual core. I remain to be convinced that ordinary mortals need more than 2 cores for a gaming rig.

If you do want ot spend your budget to the hilt - 4gb Ram might be marginally more worthwhile.

Also, something that very few people think of, is a smaller 2nd hard drive, for simple data backup.

After reading many reviews I've finally come to a decision on what to get, with help from the OcUK folks ;)

5z69b38.png

This should see through many hardcore games throughout the years. Any last comments/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks
G

Stickroad - Seeing as he can afford it I see no reason why he can't swap for some more expensive/reliable RAM. Thinking G. Skill HZ PC6400 here as it will clock to 1100MHz easily and is very reliable compared with the record on the Ballistix.

I would also change the mobo for the P5K Deluxe for the performance increase & swap the cooler for the Tuniq so it will fit on.

Still in budget and more peformance and reliablity + free wifi :)

TBH for a gaming PC I would get the dual core atm seeing as it runs cooler and will give better clocks which would be an increase in gaming performance. Seeing as the lack of 2+ core support in games. Seeing as its a P35 chipset then you can upgrade to a Peryn when they come out if you save on the CPU now.

4gb of RAM will limit your OCing potential and is not really needed unless your running Vista 64.

SLI REALLY isn't worth it atm.

This would be my spec - which leaves £360 spare when the new CPU's come out for when games will actually use 4 cores or more and when the CPU's run cooler and faster :)

1140spec_2.jpg

Edit: In response to Gee's above spec - Don't get that mobo AGH its nasty and picky with memory.

The cooler won't give you a decent OC especially not with the Quad Core and the memory won't clock too good either.

I probably wont be overclocking tbh, if that makes a different in components. And after reading about that P5K Deluxe, I've chosen that one, due to the fact that the P5N32 board has issues with certain ram as you were saying.

Last edited:
The choice is yours really - My spec overclocked will be faster than any spec you can get out of the box at stock. My spec is £360 cheaper. Even at stock it will run any current game on maximum. You have £400 spare to upgrade in the future when the new gfx/cpu's come out. Nice specs from other people too :)

Up to you - overclocking is easy with those CPU's and even easier when your ram doesn't hold you back.

Last edited:
If I were to stay with the spec I chose, with the P5K Deluxe, would that still be alright for gaming purposes etc?

Last edited:
Gee said:
If I were to stay with the spec I chose, with the P5K Deluxe, would that still be alright for gaming purposes etc?

Yeah it would be fine - BUT I would SERIOUSLY recommend doing some basic and small overclocking with different components as you will get a lot more for your money. Your not alone - theres a whole forum dedicated to overclocking :)

What would you recommend for a CPU Cooler? A tower or fan one?

That Thermalright Ultra 120 looks pretty decent although are they suitable for the mobo? cos I've heard they're over the recommended weight.

Back
Top Bottom