Gaming PC Build Help - £1200

Associate
Hi all,

New here and I guess new to PC building too as it’s been about 8 years since I built a gaming PC and I know a lot changes in the world of PC parts in that length of time!

So as with many in this part of the forum I’m looking for help and advice on building my new PC. I’m looking to spend around £1200 but for a decent return I can up this a bit.

I recently watched a video on YouTube of a chap building a gaming pc and I really liked the look. Not wanting to get in trouble for linking to the video or his parts list (had links to other retailers) I’ve re written what he stated he had inside it.

Now I’m 200% aware that his build costs waaaay over my budget so please don’t think I’m expecting this level of PC for my measly budget. But what I’d like is to create the best I can in a similar vein to his.

He most have been heavily sponsored by Corsair, as many of the below are from them but I’m not that fussed, the one thing about his build I really liked was the white case and associated white items within it, RAM and cables etc.

This is the list of equipment he used, some items fairly vague (to me, as without posting the link they mean very little)

Intel i9 9900k
Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
Asus Maximus XI Hero
Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
Corsair H100i
Corsair LL120 Fans
Corsair PCIE Riser
Corsair Front Panel Cables
Corsair Sata Cables
Corsair RM850X
Corsair 680X Case
M.2
SSD

I’ve read a good few threads from others on here and I’ve seen some good looking baskets posted up, so would be great for any assistance with mine.

In terms of the usage, it’s mainly gaming (anything from COD type games, through to Planet coaster/Cities Skylines) everything else will be low level stuff... word/excel etc

I don’t need to get a mouse/keyboard, monitor or speaks currently so it’s only really the PC itself. One thing that I do need to make sure if that the mobo has Wi-fi as it’s be somewhere I don’t have a wired connection currently.

If I’ve missed anything glaringly important please let me know,

Many thanks!

Soldato
@SG666 as @tamzzy will tell you, running Skylines with content unlocked ( like all tiles) or using Mods can push system ram over 16gb! seems to have gotten better with DLCs making better coding of peoples mod ideas.

I expect Planet Coaster and the extremely AWESOME Planet Zoo might follow the same trait

do you current have a monitor ?

Associate
OP
@SG666 as @tamzzy will tell you, running Skylines with content unlocked ( like all tiles) or using Mods can push system ram over 16gb! seems to have gotten better with DLCs making better coding of peoples mod ideas.

I expect Planet Coaster and the extremely AWESOME Planet Zoo might follow the same trait

do you current have a monitor ?

I know what you mean, I’ve got an old 3/4 year old MSI gaming laptop that seems to struggle with skylines even without all the tiles unlocked, have to reduce the graphics down a bit to keep it running ok which is disappointing really. Be great to play it with everything set to high!

Same with Planco too, very frustrating with any decent sized park. And as you say I’m expecting plant zoo to be even better so would love to sort something in preparation!

I’ve currently got an AOC monitor although it’s in my office at work so spec wise I’m not 100%, this will need updating in due course too as it’s a little dated now but will be ok for a few months. I’d certainly appreciate a recommendation on a monitor, although it doesn’t figure in my budget at present for the main build

Soldato
I know what you mean, I’ve got an old 3/4 year old MSI gaming laptop that seems to struggle with skylines even without all the tiles unlocked, have to reduce the graphics down a bit to keep it running ok which is disappointing really. Be great to play it with everything set to high!

Same with Planco too, very frustrating with any decent sized park. And as you say I’m expecting plant zoo to be even better so would love to sort something in preparation!

I’ve currently got an AOC monitor although it’s in my office at work so spec wise I’m not 100%, this will need updating in due course too as it’s a little dated now but will be ok for a few months. I’d certainly appreciate a recommendation on a monitor, although it doesn’t figure in my budget at present for the main build

freesync monitors that run AMD GPUs or Freesync monitors that can run Nvidia cards are a LOT cheaper then Nvidia Only gaming monitors . For about £215 you can get a 1440p 75hz 32" monitor to run with an AMD GPU :D

whats your laptop spec btw ? should help with listing parts

Associate
OP
freesync monitors that run AMD GPUs or Freesync monitors that can run Nvidia cards are a LOT cheaper then Nvidia Only gaming monitors . For about £215 you can get a 1440p 75hz 32" monitor to run with an AMD GPU :D

whats your laptop spec btw ? should help with listing parts

To be honest with you, most of that has been lost on me... I never really associated the GPU with the monitor any further than if I could output at 1080P then I needed a monitor that could display this!

As for my current laptop, it’s somewhat rubbish now really, but as for what’s in it there seems to be...

Nvidia GeForce 940M (motherboard?!)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (GPU?!)

or other way around?!

8GB RAM not sure what though.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Following on from my original post I have put together a list of bits, I'm not 100% sure I'm on the right track with some of it, especially as I need to get an SSD too (I have HDDs)

Please let em know if you can improve on the below, I'm happy to change anything as I just want the best package I can put together for the money I have. The case I've chosen was just based on my wanting a white case with glass panel and I quite liked it... so again happy to change is there is something better suited. Its possible I have forget stuff too! Although as mentioned I don't need a monitor right now, or keyboard/mouse etc.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,322.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Man of Honour
what is your full budget?

Man of Honour
ryzen 3700x
scythe mugen 5 rev b
msi b450 tomahawk max
crucial ballistix LT 2x16gb 3200c16
Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Dual Fan
sabrent rocket 1tb
corsair rm650
Kolink Observatory Midi Tower RGB Gaming Case - White Tempered Glass Window
ADDON Wireless AC 600Mbps USB High Gain USB Adapter (AWU680)

monitor: AOC Q3279VWFD8 32" 2560x1440 IPS 75Hz FREESYNC

budget-wise, should be there or thereabouts

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ryzen 3700x
scythe mugen 5 rev b
msi b450 tomahawk max
crucial ballistix LT 2x16gb 3200c16
Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Dual Fan
sabrent rocket 1tb
corsair rm650
Kolink Observatory Midi Tower RGB Gaming Case - White Tempered Glass Window
ADDON Wireless AC 600Mbps USB High Gain USB Adapter (AWU680)

monitor: AOC Q3279VWFD8 32" 2560x1440 IPS 75Hz FREESYNC

budget-wise, should be there or thereabouts

Thanks @tamzzy

I have added the items into my basket, but had a question about a few items,

crucial ballistix LT 2x16gb 3200c16 - I can't find this item, removing Crucial or Ballistix doesn't bring up the item could you point me in the right direction?

The PowerColor Radeon comes in OC or non OC, would I gain from the OC on this, its only a bit more?

Also the item "sabrent rocket 1tb" doesn't bring anything up when I search for it. I'm sure its what im doing but if you could help that would be fantastic and much appreciated.

I've added my basket with the items so far, and currently have both Radeons added.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,744.61 (includes shipping: £20.82)​

Associate
OP
@SG666 they are not all sold at ocuk ;) Google it
Suggest shopping around for the best prices too.

It's the £410 GPU that I specced

@tamzzy Ah I see thanks... right I've had a look and I've found the items.... I think.... is the below correct?
  • Ballistix Sport LT Gray 16GB DDR4-3200 UDIMM - Only seem to be sold one there own so 2x of these
  • Sabrent M.2 NVME PCIe Internal SSD (1TB, PCIe 3.0) - They appear to do these in 4.0 and also with a heat sink, would these be needed? Or is the 3.0 ok on its own.
As for the GPU, if I have the spare £30 would I be better of spending it or will I not notice the difference?

Back
Top Bottom