Gaming PC for around £750?

Associate
Hi guys I've played games on relatively bad PC's for most my life but have usually mainly gamed on console. Anyway I've seen online you can put together a decent gaming PC for $1000 (US) which equates to around £750. Is this a reasonable estimation to build a PC that can play games such as Rainbow 6 Siege and PUBG on high settings? Also if this is possible, does anyone have parts suggestions, keeping in mind I will not need to purchase monitor/keyboard/mouse/headset, so can spend the whole budget on the PC.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

the above build is overpriced and some parts are meh, intel is better for gaming also, okay the 1050ti wont be as strong as the 570, but if you going to pay that 570 price you might as well get the better 1060.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £744.58 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Hi guys I've played games on relatively bad PC's for most my life but have usually mainly gamed on console. Anyway I've seen online you can put together a decent gaming PC for $1000 (US) which equates to around £750.

Okay stop right there. Yes, £750 is around $1000-ish but computer parts are typically priced 1:1 pound/dollar these days. So basically you'd need to spend £1000 to mirror what you'd get for $1000 across the pond. The games you've mentioned are tough on high settings, can you stretch to a bit more than £750 if needed for a build with more solid parts, and will you be building it yourself?

Okay stop right there. Yes, £750 is around $1000-ish but computer parts are typically priced 1:1 pound/dollar these days. So basically you'd need to spend £1000 to mirror what you'd get for $1000 across the pond. The games you've mentioned are tough on high settings, can you stretch to a bit more than £750 if needed for a build with more solid parts, and will you be building it yourself?

I can stretch to £1000 yes and there is the option I can build it myself.

I can stretch to £1000 yes and there is the option I can build it myself.

Understood.

You'll have to look around as there are savings to be had by doing so which will squeeze nice parts into budget. The i5-8400 can currently be found for under £160. That's an excellent price and I would snap at it before price goes up again. Ditto for the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD for £120 and the Corsair TX550M power supply (with 7 year warranty) for £68. That stuff is all very reasonable and pretty much below regular pricing right now.

Memory prices are sky high. There's some Patriot 3200MHz 2x8GB DDR4 memory floating around for £167. Also Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz White Leds (these look nice) and TeamGroup Vulcan 3200MHz, both for £180. Either of the three would be fine and the slight difference in speed would not be noticeable. Here are the latter two:

Total: £368.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Plus the following:

Total: £509.23 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Video card prices are also sky high. Ideally you'd want a 1060 such as this one for high-ish settings on PUBG. There are some cheaper models at £329.99 but since that's already so high, the Aorus model is well worth the extra £20. At £350, it's about £80 over normal pricing (pre-mining explosion), and it's faster than the RX 570 4GB which is priced £100 over regular pricing and which I would avoid. The GTX 1050Ti is one of the few cards that is remaining more or less true to MSRP. It won't cut it for PUBG on high settings, but if you don't want to pay inflated prices for products and don't mind playing at lower settings till you upgrade it, that would be the one to buy. Note that new Nvidia cards could come out in April.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi guys I've played games on relatively bad PC's for most my life but have usually mainly gamed on console. Anyway I've seen online you can put together a decent gaming PC for $1000 (US) which equates to around £750. Is this a reasonable estimation to build a PC that can play games such as Rainbow 6 Siege and PUBG on high settings? Also if this is possible, does anyone have parts suggestions, keeping in mind I will not need to purchase monitor/keyboard/mouse/headset, so can spend the whole budget on the PC.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

if your US based, prices might be different - normally the only thing that changes in conversion rates $ sign is changed to £ hahaha. prob get more for your money state side - so use the above but you might find you can squeeze and bigger SSD, nicer case or supply unit .

Intel is better for gaming only in the Intels fans and trolls imagination.
Gaming is threads-bottlenecked and Intel CPUs always offer less cores/threads.

So, now, what did you offer once again?

im a fan of both - need both in competition - Intel offers core speed and higher IPC - for 60% of games and 100% of older games this is still king! dont get me wrong, we are now moving to multithread games like BF1 - specially on multiplayer .

and i tested both RZYZEN 1600 and INTEL I5 8400 together with vega 56 and gtx 1070ti retrospectively - intel just wins gaming benches, ryzen wins synth and vega/pascal and title vs title

Ryzen did a smashing job- GIVE with the disaster of their Engineering samples - you'll have to read it up but they were ******** aweful- hence why poor support at the start form all vendors- none actually had retail version when the first retail mobo was packaged up..
Zen+ should help - specially with high ram, they might get speed up but its getting 3600+ ram speeds that will help them fight closer to intel this year .
next year- should be a proper equal show down- both should be on 8 cores, both will not not refresh designs - both should offer speed, IPC and IMC.

Users on here need both systems spec to give a good range of what they can get for their money- specially when people list beastly ITX machines, and to be honest ATX format needs to be put to sleep now haha

Last edited:
prove it?

Guys to help you out a little:

1600X is fastest out the box, boost to 3.9-4.0GHz and will even do this in a lower cost mainboard like B350, so for a little more outlay on CPU, you can save big time on motherboard.
1600 is essentially identical to 1600X, but it is 65W vs 95W which gives it a thermal edge and sometimes overclocking edge as well, but to get best OC results you need a 370 mainboard.

Of course to get the best performance from the CPU's you need the memory running around 3000MHz, even 3200MHz if possible and the 370 mainboards offer much better memory overclocking ability at the moment compared to 350. :)

I'd personally buy a 1600 or 1700 + CH6 and a 3000/3200 memory kit. This is what I'd personally buy and yes I would now buy AMD over Intel, I simply see Ryzen as the far more future proof CPU and the Ryzen CPU also makes games appear smoother irrelevant of what the FPS score is showing and smoothness is everything.

For me the perfect solution is:
R5 1600 + RX 480 (580 soon if rumours to be true ;) ) + 8G/16G 3000MHz RAM + 370 series mainboard. For the money especially with a FREESYNC monitor you get a totally awesome gaming experience.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-ya-wallets-out.18775937/page-2#post-30692260

So I'm going to be ordering parts for my new rig in about 2 weeks and trying to decide between Ryzen and KB. One of the main things I keep hearing is that owners who switched from Skylake/Kabylake over to Ryzen have resolved their issue where they were sometimes stuttering in games and say that Ryzen is a "smoother experience". Just wondering if anyone here on Kabylake or Skylake has had problems regarding stuttering while gaming? Especially with apps like Discord or teamspeak in the background.

P.S. I will be gaming at 1440p with a 1080ti.

It makes no sense to buy a 7700K over a R7 1700 these days which is also cheaper.
Buy a good B350 board also, if you do not want to SLI/CF like the Asus B350-F Strixx and save few hundred dollars in the process.

I moved from 6700K @ 4.8Ghz to 6800K @ 4Ghz (briefly with a 1700X but had to return the board and no replacements waiting for Ryzen 9800 atm), and never going to look back on 4 core CPU.

Especially when you are running TS, and a browser at the same time with gaming, the difference of 6+ cores to 4 core CPUs is significant, even if the Mhz are bit lower and that includes single thread games like World of Tanks.
Let alone Ryzen CPUs who have higher IPC than Broadwel-E at same speeds, which is becoming even better with high speed ram (3200+)
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...ng-i7-7700k-experienced-stuttering-games.html

Seen this problem on the forums, but no solutions have worked for me. I have a new i7-2600 and a 1gb 5770, 460w psu, 8gb ram, & I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I installed latest AMD drivers (CCC 11.7 and driver 8.872). My proble is that while playing a game, I have lag that occurs for a fraction of a second pretty regularly but independent of how much action is occurring. It even happens when I turn graphics settings down, & happens with v-sync on and off. The stuttering looks different from typical lag that happens when the gpu can't handle the graphics settings. FRAPs says I have good enough fps (30-50). The main games this happens for were CoD4 and GTA4. Call of Juarez (DirectX 10) ran flawlessly with no stuttering. I enabled Triple Buffering for OpenGL in CCC and it seemed to help with CoD4 but not with GTA4. I downloaded RivaTuner with D3DOverrider to try to enable Triple Buffering for DirectX9 but this actually made the stuttering worse. If I had to guess, I would say there's something wrong w/ the communication between CPU and GPU, but I really have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/113514-13-microstuttering-multiple-games-5770

This really helps but do you reckon I could afford A 1070 and rather than using an i5 I use a Ryzen equivalent (or better)?

Other than the fact some pre-built systems which happen to have a 1070 in them, also happen to have a Ryzen 1600 in them, and the system itself could be discounted, there's not much difference if any right now in price between 15-8400 + budget but decent Z370 board and Ryzen 1600 + budget but decent B350 board. You'd want to go with Ryzen 1600/1700 or i7-8700/K if gaming AND streaming, but if only gaming then the i5-8400 is a bit better than the 1600.

If we're talking about that system you mentioned in an another thread, it's tough as not having an SSD and only 8GB RAM is not something I'd go for personally, but then again the 1070 would be tempting. Thing is, because graphics card tends to be upgraded before anything else, I'd rather have a nice SSD and enough RAM (and a better PSU) to last years, and just upgrade the graphics card. Even the 1070 will need upgrading at some point.

If the 1070 was normal price, you'd be able to get one in place of the 1060, for £350-400. For very close to the £1000 total budget.

It all depends on how you want to go about it - put up with general usage sluggishness in exchange for the better gaming performance with the 1070, or be content with 1060 gaming performance and much snappier general usage with the SSD. If you use your PC like a gaming console then not having an SSD doesn't really matter much (except for game and level/map loading).

On a budget I'd definitely go Ryzen. Only a few weeks until we know what AMD and Nvidia's next iterations are. It's worth waiting.

Hi guys. Today I was randomly looking at GTX 1080 prices on a certain other website beginning with an A. I noticed that 1080's are generally the same price or cheaper than 1070's. For example MSI's gtx 1070 is £630 but the gtx 1080 by MSI is £490 (both being sold directly by MSI and in stock). There were numerous examples like this, does anyone know the reason why? Because I'd assume that getting a 1080 for the same price as a 1070 is definitely the better option?

Intel is better for gaming only in the Intels fans and trolls imagination.
Gaming is threads-bottlenecked and Intel CPUs always offer less cores/threads.

So, now, what did you offer once again?

I’m not intel fan boy nor am I an amd fan boy like you, intel has been known to edge more in games and again I managed a build in the proposed £750, doesn’t matter if the OP can spend £1000, they was curious about what they could get for the original price, doesn’t matter which processor they have, fact is you went over that amount with not so good parts.

Mean why would you have a 1600 and a 570 running of a cheap no good quality kolink power supply? If it was running a celeron/pentium G or some amd dual core yeah, but not high end parts.

Hi guys. Today I was randomly looking at GTX 1080 prices on a certain other website beginning with an A. I noticed that 1080's are generally the same price or cheaper than 1070's. For example MSI's gtx 1070 is £630 but the gtx 1080 by MSI is £490 (both being sold directly by MSI and in stock). There were numerous examples like this, does anyone know the reason why? Because I'd assume that getting a 1080 for the same price as a 1070 is definitely the better option?

If you actually click on that link you will notice they arent available at that price, and are actually used around the 650 mark. If you were able to get a 1080 for 450 (new) then happy days.

Back
Top Bottom