Gaming PC spec

Associate
My son had a Toshiba 'gaming' laptop which cost the earth and only lasted two years, so I now want him to have a desktop.

He's found himself a StormForce Glacier PC from a retailer for £1100 which looks OK, but he's picked it entirely on the fact it has i7 and GTX1060, as these are HIS minimum requirements. It has a 2TB HDD and 120GB SSD, W10 and 6GB of RAM on the 1060. Oh, and a 'three-year warranty'.

Because it's a retailer package, we can't see what motherboard, RAM, etc, no keyboard, mouse or monitor

It has 8GB memory, and I think he'd be better dropping to i5 and getting 16GB

I also wonder whether these retailer packages are best when you could spec something from OC and know what you're putting in it.

I don't do gaming so it's difficult for me to advise, but if anyone had any comments, I'sd be pleased to hear them. I'm looking for it to be delivered built, would like to pay less than £1100, but want it to last.

These are the games he says he wants to play.
  • Just cause 3
  • ARK: survival evolved
  • Assassins creed black flag
  • Grav
  • H1Z1 king of the kill
  • The forest
  • CS:GO
  • Payday 2
  • Rust
  • Far Cry 4
  • Sniper elite 4
  • Steep
  • Borderlands 2
  • Forza horizon 3
  • Dishonored 2
  • BeamNG drive
  • Killing floor 2
  • Dark souls III
  • Next car game wreck fest
  • Mafia III
  • Rise of the tomb raider
  • The crew

Soldato
Pick an OCUK gaming rig, it will have proper parts, be properly put together and be supported.
If you are having trouble doing the spec, ring them or ask in the prepurchase thread.
Andi.

Associate
Look for the overclockers prebuilt pc's. That said I believe overclockers will build you the pc if you ask (for a charge) if you buy all the parts separately, that's what I would do to keep the cost down. Also I wouldn't bother with the i7, either the Ryzen 1700 or an i5 will suffice looking at the list games your son wants to play, also the rx480 is cheaper and performs slightly better than the 1060, but your budget should allow for the much better 1070

Soldato
Why an i5 for Gaming? The extra threads will still be used. Even if the game isn't written for hyperthreading Windows is and that is still running when you play games.
Andi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom