Gaming Reboots.

Associate
Hi guys, been away from here for a while, so apologies if I have posted in wrong place. I have been ploughing hours into MW3 Zombies and experiencing random reboots, which to say the least is annoying because you obviously lose all your stash and a fair chunk of rank.

For info. my rig is as follows ; I have an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, with latest BIOS, a Ryzen 7 3700x, running generally at 4.2 (although I just noticed the OC receipt states 4.4 ?), Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVS416G360C7K), Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB GDDR6, all powered by a Superflower 1200w PSU (forget the exact model), MSI OPTIX MAG272QR 27 2560x1440 VA FreeSync 165Hz 1ms Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor.

I have tried everything at default, i.e. no overclocking, all drivers are latest, still random reboots. In game graphic settings make no difference whether I run them low to normal or with some custom settings around the high to ultra range.

I am trying to find a piece of software that will keep a log of temps, etc, AFTER a reboot. I am currently monitoring things through Rivatuner but as far as I know, it does not save the temps etc.

Is here anything out there which will hopefully point me in the right direction ?
Cheers folks.

Reboots are normally a sign of power issues. Check that all the cables are secure and reseat the graphics card and ram.

How old is your PSU? It might be on its way out.

It's a few years old now tbh but it hasn't really seen a great deal of use, only started gaming again when MW3 came out.
Did a quick video of the current settings I'm monitoring. There does appear to be a few spikes here and there. I can see the power graph spiking around too. This is with MW3 running in background.

RivaTuner Stats Video

I had exactly the same spec as you - Superflower PSU, B450 and a 3700x....and got random reboots while gaming.

Tried everything....odd thing is that stress tests turned out fine and it never rebooted, and no problems any other time, only when gaming. Either way, turns out the Superflower was faulty - I believe it was actually overheating. Swapped it for another PSU and everything worked perfectly.
I sent to OCUK but they couldn't reproduce it on their stress tests either, so couldn't offer a refund or replacement. They said I could send it to Superflower UK to see if they'd be able to reproduce it and they'd replace it, but would have to pay postage both ways of about £35 to Germany, so it wasn't worth it in my eyes.

So binned a very expensive PSU that was still under "warranty"

So yeah, swap the PSU. Unfortunately, you may find yourself in a similar position as me where you can't get a refund/replacement :(

Back
Top Bottom