Gaming Table Ideas

Soldato
Moving house soon and have a room purely for board gaming and rpgs.
Its an odd shape but the table maximum can be 2m x 2m.
Could get 2 people on each side if its square, seated. I figured each person needs 60cm each.

I've looked up a few designs that have been done but they either require a huge room or do not cater for our needs (wants).

I've been sketching out some ideas (I'd use some fancy design software but I prefer to scribble on paper) and decided that an area for character sheets or player boards (ala Zombicide), an area to roll dice and a drinks holder would be very useful.

What would you include in its design?
How much would you spend? (I think £250 should cover it)

Apart from Pathfinder and its ilk, we play Zombicide, Firefly (mat is 50"x20"), Camel Up, XCOM, Pandemic etc.... so take this into account for the actual board gaming area.
I'm not providing power to tablets as both the GM and I find people get easily distracted so we don't allow electronics at the table.

I'll do a project log when we get started (probably August 2016)

Commissario
One thing to think about is, do you want a single table, or be able to split it?

We're looking at redoing our gaming table in the garage (we've been thinking about it for ages), and rather than a single 8x4 foot unit we have been planning on making the under table out of something like 4 units each 2x4 that can be bolted together quickly*, so we can make it to be any configuration from 16x2, a pair of 4x4's, a 6x6 and a 2x4 or an 8x4.

So consider modular for the base of the table, if nothing else it's far easier to move smaller units.

Other options can include using commercially available cupboards etc for the base of the table (with additional supports added), for example old kitchen cupboards or similar.
One of my friends has some of the old school storage trays that look like Ikea "trofast" in their cabinet as part of his gaming table, which is great for storing models and when gaming as you can pull out the tray and use it to hold your army during the game (when a unit dies you put it in your box etc).

With our unit one of the things we're looking at is doing it so that one or more of the units is setup to store the top of the gaming table (shelves for things like the GW 2x2 "realm of battle" tiles), and other shelving for models and scenery.

If you go with storage under the table bookcase shelving strips are both quite cheap, and very versatile for lightweight stuff such as sections of table top, hollow scenery, and plastic miniatures.

Basically decide what is important to you in your needs, then what is easy/cheap to do, and don't be afraid to canibalise things - if your neighbour is getting a new kitchen, old cupboards can be relatively easily adapted.

*In our case we're looking at doing it so if we need the space in the garage we can rearrange the table base to run along the wall of the garage, or even act as a working surface for diy jobs (so sliding/quick release doors and a top so if we're doing something dirty in the garage the models/scenery is safe). I've had the wood and special feet in the garage for ages, but no time. I bought some fancy feet where you turn a bolt to let you adjust the level of the table which should let me drop it onto casters easily.

Soldato
OP
I am thinking of modular actually.
I saw this and figured 2 together would provide the legs and a frame to put the tabletop on.

Not too worried about models as we don't use them in roleplay sessions and others for board games are kept in the box. I'm thinking something like this for Zombicide and Rum'n'Bones so at least its easier to move to wherever its needed.

Commissario
That's a good idea :)

Ikea table frames are both cheap and reasonably strong (more than enough for a games table).
The drawer unit looks like a good choice, although it's worth checking the internal dimensions of the drawers - When I've been looking at store bought storage for models and boxes I've ended up taking a small steel ruler with me and a note of various important heights (for anyone reading, 4l really useful boxes are ideal for most 28mm scale standard men, as long as they don't have banners).

Permabanned
Can't add much, but do give each seat more than just 60cm of space (both behind and around). Take some measurments when you sit at your desk and what its like to be comfortable. Sure you can fit in 60cm of space, but can you do that for a marathon 7 hour game of Twilight Imperium? Pathfinder needs even more room, especially for the DM. I take up an entire side table on my own!

As for the size of the table, you want each player to be able to reach the middle of the table comfortably, as when folks stretch that's when drinks get split. Sure, a giant table is utterly awesome, but if no one can reach the middle of it, its wasted space, so just take this into account as well.

One thing I have thought for a table I want to eventually make, is having some board game storage build into the base of the table. A very crude example is below! Ikea have those "klaxx" things that are perfect for board games.

img

As for storage for miniatures and such, I am using these . It's not as easy to get modes out as the ikea thing is, but its modular and mobile (they stack and click together) and a lot cheaper. I've 2 of these for my DnD miniatures and terrain.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you making this with a vault style with raised edges? Just curious tbh! :)

I'm not sure what that means but I think yes, I am.

gradyhawks said:
Can't add much, but do give each seat more than just 60cm of space (both behind and around). Take some measurements when you sit at your desk and what its like to be comfortable. Sure you can fit in 60cm of space, but can you do that for a marathon 7 hour game of Twilight Imperium? Pathfinder needs even more room, especially for the DM. I take up an entire side table on my own!

60cm, maybe 70cm is the limit and I find its enough for whats needed. With 2 people next to each other and allowing another 60cm for a chair at each end and a bit of space to move, you're at 240cm. The GM would have an entire side to themselves.

gradyhawks said:
As for the size of the table, you want each player to be able to reach the middle of the table comfortably, as when folks stretch that's when drinks get split. Sure, a giant table is utterly awesome, but if no one can reach the middle of it, its wasted space, so just take this into account as well.

Good point, having measured my reach at a table height of 75cm, I can only comfortably reach 80cm into the table. Means with the size I am thinking there would be a dead 20cm in the centre.

My missus wants an octagonal table and having seen her design, its certainly feasible (shouldn't expect anything else really, she's an engineer). Especially if each section is done in alternating woods, I think it would pretty cool.

The room has enough space for storage along the side so I won't need to put anything under the table, although our game collection is likely to grow so I can add it later.

Soldato
OP
Then yes. Slightly wider edges which will accommodate stuff like characters sheets, drink holder, dice rolling tray and notepad.
Having played with people that roll dice straight onto the map and send bits flying, I'm adding extra bits for their safety.

Soldato
OP
Decided against a rectangular table, far too easy.....

14jyv0m.jpg

Needs more refining and the boxed area around the edges for rogs but will allow for a 3x3 Zombicide board as well.

Soldato
OP
A D20 table? :eek:

Can't wait to see some pics!

If I ever win the lottery, the plan is to buy a table from Geek Chic.

Don't get your hopes up, my carpentry skills are very rusty.

The lines on the sketch show which way the small planks will run and each section will be stained in alternating colours. (ABC).
One central leg (probably a couple of small bookshelves to add storage as suggested and each point will have a leg too.
The framework underneath has the potential to have a couple of shelves, may as well use the space.

I'm all for adding the numbers but my missus thinks not.
I was thinking of pouring resin into the sections instead of having them as wood. Not really decided on the finish though.
20cm boxing to run around the edge (vault style) and another d20 insert with legs to bring it all to one height should it be needed (dual purpose table which I have reluctantly agreed to).

The room will look like this (I hope)

Shelving/cupboards on the angled wall. Floorplanner doesn't have a d20 shaped table :rolleyes: but the dimensions are correct

Last edited:
Soldato
A D20 table? :eek:

Can't wait to see some pics!

If I ever win the lottery, the plan is to buy a table from Geek Chic.

You'd be wasting your money even if you had it to waste. You can get plans for equivalent tables on BoardGameGeek for free, and a professional joiner could make it for at most one quarter the cost if you supplied the materials.

Permabanned
You'd be wasting your money even if you had it to waste. You can get plans for equivalent tables on BoardGameGeek for free, and a professional joiner could make it for at most one quarter the cost if you supplied the materials.

+1 here, you could even commission someone to draw up your plans for you and then get it build by a joiner for cheaper than these, and it will be totally customised to your room!

Soldato
OP
Those prices are insane. I'm fairly sure I can build mine for £300 not including the extra bits that will be in the room (electrics, bar tavern, chairs etc..)

Associate
I just bit the Bullet & picked up one from Gamemat EU. I had to have something folding that took a 6 x 4 mat. Really quite happy with it was £140 with a mat.

Soldato
OP
Time to re-visit this now we've moved. Thing is, that house ended up in probate so we pulled the plug and found somewhere else. Been her a few months and the house is 95% finished so I've moved onto the gaming area (as its far more interesting).

So, we have what used to be a large a garage at the end of the garden which has been converted into a room and workshop. Run a network connection up there and its where my PC lives. Have a small oil heater to heat the entire room and it gets very warm in there (must be well insulated and has double glazing (although I forgot to add the window in front of my desk)).
2h30in5.png

Our plans are to demolish this building and build something a little bigger to accommodate what we want. That will be in about 3 years though so in the meantime, this will do. Its not wide enough to make the d20 table at the moment though so this table is just temporary.

I've made a start...
2u6i550.jpg

Using some timbers from a built in wardrobe we dismantled to make the frame.
2 sheets of 18mm ply (600mm x 1820mm) from B&Q. I considered worktop but that would heavy and more expensive.
4 legs from a desk we no longer need (not the one its sat on but you can make out 1 chrome leg in the pic).
Will run some felt over it for a playing surface once its built, may add something underneath to cushion it a bit.
Have 5x Nitro Concepts C80 Comfort chairs from here (thank you Black Friday, still 2 to build) for players and GM. I'll use my Noble Epic :)

Playing surface will be 82cm from floor, will have an edge put on it as some players seem to miss the table when rolling dice and I should be able to make some holes for pint glass holders.

Soldato
OP
Bit more progress as the drill battery died and I forgot to charge the other one so I can't remove the legs for the old desk yet..

Frame built
PksxuYD.jpg

Table surface added
2ptxn6f.jpg

I need to order some fabric. Thinking felt would be best due to budget (and its temporary ish).
Missus has ruled out green and blue as it would be like a snooker table or pool table. Black would be too dark and any light colours would end up filthy within a few sessions. Any suggestions?

It'll be glued down and I'll have to put something underneath (have some laminate underlay) as the 2 surfaces aren't level along the join in a few places. Any better options?

Also, drinks holders. Should i bother or not? I could cut out circles and sink in some small pots http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...plant-pot-in-outdoor-galvanised-art-90155672/ as they have a lip and can be removed to wash them if need be.

Back
Top Bottom